Inventory and Volunteer Tracking

boxc...@freegeekseattle.org

May 3, 2014, 5:29:26 PM5/3/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
The Etherpad spreadsheets we're using (or in the case of the volunteer hours one, not using) to track things do not work.

The data is there, but often doesn't reload reliably when going to the URL (I won't post them publicly here). They often come up blank.

We can't use this until it's reliable.

Any suggestions on what to do about this?

I need to go through our paper records of volunteer hours going back through last year, and try to get it all together, soon.

Andrew Kane

May 3, 2014, 6:41:34 PM5/3/14
On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 2:29 PM, <boxc...@freegeekseattle.org> wrote:
The Etherpad spreadsheets we're using (or in the case of the volunteer hours one, not using) to track things do not work.

The data is there, but often doesn't reload reliably when going to the URL (I won't post them publicly here). They often come up blank.

That's different from "does not work". The spreadsheets are unreliable and they leak data, but they are usable, sort of.

We can't use this until it's reliable.

We have been using it, clearly we can use it. If data is lost at this point, then it's lost. There's nothing we can do about it, so let's not cry over spilt milk.
We need to track the data we can, as best we can. If that means using the spreadsheet, then let's use it. It's temporary.

Any suggestions on what to do about this?

We (Lucas and me) are  actively working on a replacement. It should be live before mid-June. In the meantime, we can:

1) continue using etherpad; or

2) transfer all that data to a different method - in the meantime I have done this:
because I couldn't figure out right away how to export data from etherpad, and I don't have time today to research it. We could move the data to a wiki table, to another computer spreadsheet, or paper- but choose *one* method please! My proposal is to continue with etherpad until the new database is live. I will continue to copy the data into that Talk: page in the meantime.

I need to go through our paper records of volunteer hours going back through last year, and try to get it all together, soon.

Helping Seattle's Needy Get Nerdy
http://freegeekseattle.org/wiki/index.php/Free_Geek_Seattle:About

Maillist:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/freegeek-seattle

IRC:
#freegeek-sea on freenode
http://webchat.freenode.net?channels=%23freegeek-sea
freegeekseattle.org

Dan Ryan

May 3, 2014, 6:49:08 PM5/3/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
I'll get these moved over to Google Spreadsheets shortly, this should stop the data loss.

Thanks,
Dan

Ann Summy

May 3, 2014, 10:05:54 PM5/3/14
to Sea Techie, elcaseti ., freegeek...@googlegroups.com
Elcaset and Jon,

Please see this thread for info about the volunteer hours log ethercalc issue we were having today.

Best,
Ann

boxc...@freegeekseattle.org

May 4, 2014, 9:53:17 PM5/4/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
THANK YOU SO MUCH. None of this was appearing in my web browser. Once I have the paper records from last year, I will merge them.

d...@freegeekseattle.org

May 25, 2014, 12:58:32 AM5/25/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
Hey, I have created a new inventory tracking form and a new volunteer hours tracking form, for the latter please fill it out when you finish your volunteering each day.

Thanks,
Dan