org meeting tonight 1930 at 3rd Place

Andrew Kane

Jul 13, 2015, 5:37:31 PM7/13/15
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
Just a reminder, I'll be at Third Place Commons [1] tonight to talk with
anyone who is also interested in doing things under the name "Free Geek
Seattle". I'll also be on IRC at that time.

If anyone intends to be there, please RSVP so I don't startle when
someone actually shows up ☺

[1]https://freegeekseattle.org/wiki/Third_Place_Commons

Dan Ryan

Jul 13, 2015, 5:57:00 PM7/13/15
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
Mind if I attend via IRC? I'm very interested, just probably not gonna
be up north in time to make it.

Thanks,
Dan

Andrew Kane

Jul 13, 2015, 6:01:52 PM7/13/15
On 07/13/2015 02:56 PM, Dan Ryan wrote:
> Mind if I attend via IRC? I'm very interested, just probably not gonna
> be up north in time to make it.

Sure, that's fine. I was planning to be on the channel anyhow.

Jon @ freegeek-sea

Jul 13, 2015, 10:53:17 PM7/13/15
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com

Joining IRC

Andrew Kane

Jul 14, 2015, 12:34:27 AM7/14/15
On 07/13/2015 07:53 PM, Jon @ freegeek-sea wrote:
> Joining IRC

Hi Jon and everyone else I missed:

Sorry to have missed you. I was on the channel between 1925 and 1930, at
which time I ping-dropped without knowing it. My wireless connection was
sporadic and I should have been watching, but I didn't realize I was
offline until 1950 or so.

So, the meeting at TPC was just Lee and me. My idea is to do some simple
regular meetup at libraries or some similar venue, subject to volunteer
availability. Right now I'm assuming availability of only one volunteer:
me. These meetups would be for people interested in learning together
how to contribute to FLOSS projects, and all the various components
thereof. This seems like a simple, unambitious thing for a small group
of people to do which is commensurate with the Free Geek mission and for
which I could use the Free Geek Seattle name, branding and so forth.

My understanding is that Jon and some others mean to re-organize under a
different name from Free Geek Seattle. If that understanding is wrong,
and/or if someone else wants to use the Free Geek Seattle name and
branding for something, then please let me know and come take these
t-shirts and booth kit and things off my hands. Otherwise, if anyone is
interested in assisting me with the project I've outlined above, please
let me know.

Again, I'm sorry I missed y'all. It's been a trying day. I hope this
finds everyone well.

jbel...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2015, 3:51:08 PM7/17/15
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
Again, I'm sorry I missed y'all. It's been a trying day. I hope this
finds everyone well.

Sorry I have been away for the past month.  I am still interested is assisting any way that I can.

Andrew Kane

Aug 10, 2015, 12:35:04 PM8/10/15
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
It's good to hear from you. Sorry I left the reply so long but I expect
you know how it is.

At this point FGSEA has no space and the corporate status is 'inactive'
per Secretary of State, whatever that means:
http://www.sos.wa.gov/corps/search_detail.aspx?ubi=603245190

I'm working on rebuilding the legal things, up to and hopefully
including filing the application for the 501c3, before organizing
anything else. I haven't broken it all down into steps yet; when I
identify non-blocking path elements then I will have things I can ask
other people to do. In the meantime I'm grateful for any advice, and
it's helpful to me just to know that at least some folks are still
interested.

My overall plan so far is to just get the paperwork ironed out and then
use what I've learned from that to offer similar services to other local
nonprofits like GSLUG. I might also do some classes here and there on
software-freedom stuff, privacy, and related things, i.e. stuff that
makes for free people (free geeks being a subset of that group.) After
the basic organizational stuff is sorted then whomever is still
interested can plan other services to offer and I'll help them set it
up, either under the FGSEA name or otherwise. I don't expect this plan
to survive contact with the real world, but it's what I have so far.
When I've refined it sufficiently to explain in detail then I'll publish
it on the wiki.