Wiki documentation party?

ted....@gmail.com

May 31, 2014, 4:04:05 PM5/31/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
Anyone interested in having a documentation party where we meet for a couple of hours to organize, update, and edit the Wiki? That seemed to be recurring topic at the last monthly meeting.

I'm wondering if interested parties meet up for a couple of hours we could all knock out a lot of the updates the group has been discussing. I'm free evenings and weekends.

We should meet somewhere with Wifi. And beer.

Boxcutter729

Jun 2, 2014, 2:29:01 PM6/2/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
That's a really great idea. At the last session we had 3 hours in which I was hoping to redo our whole build program page, get a new procedure outlined. We were too distracted to make that happen unfortunately. It would be nice to set aside some time just for that. Sit around a table with some laptops and food and get the whole thing straightened out. Do you have a venue/date in mind? I'm out next weekend (motorcycle lessons), but any other time.

Andrew Kane

Jun 2, 2014, 6:08:17 PM6/2/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com

ted....@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2014, 6:26:27 PM6/7/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
How about Naked City Brewing? Great beer, lots of beer, tasty food, lots of tables, and WiFi.

https://nakedcitybrewing.com/

How does Saturday, June 21st sound? 11am?

Tom Heuser

Jun 7, 2014, 6:43:27 PM6/7/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
I'm in.

Cura ut valeas!
-Tom Heuser

"Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas" - Virgil

ted....@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2014, 5:01:23 PM6/14/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
Naked City opens at 11:30, so we'll have to change the time to then.

Are there any pages we should pay particular attention to?

boxc...@freegeekseattle.org

Jun 14, 2014, 9:07:54 PM6/14/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
I'm in for next weekend with this.

Blibbet

Jun 14, 2014, 10:53:09 PM6/14/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
> Are there any pages we should pay particular attention to?

Yes. The page for the build/QA/assembly checklists. That is the main
page that matters for the weekly workshops.

Right now, we're still using Portland lists in the lab, which is crazy,
have of the answers to the kids in last few weeks was "no, they do that
in portland, i don't know why our docs are still that outdated, just
skip that section."

I seem to recall Andrew talking about a revised Seattle-based PDF, but
I haven't seen it and can't find it on the wiki.

Next weeks's workshop needs an up-to-date Seattle-based -- not
Portland-based -- checklist for the volunteers, multiple hardcopies of
it in the lab, one clipboard per copy per volunteer.

There is one hardcopy in the lab that has some hand-written
annotations, that should be used as a starting point. But it is the
only copy that the kids use, so if you take it, they'll be lost in the
lab.

Boxcutter729

Jun 20, 2014, 2:08:25 PM6/20/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com

This Saturday 11:30.

Naked City Brewey & Taphouse

8564 Greenwood Ave N
Seattle, WA 98103

I'll be there. Lets get this wiki down!

Andrew Kane

Jun 21, 2014, 2:46:47 PM6/21/14

On 06/14/2014 02:01 PM, ted....@gmail.com wrote:
> Naked City opens at 11:30, so we'll have to change the time to
> then.

Hi folks, I had meant to attend your shindig today but I'm not able to
get away. I hope some or all of you will sign into IRC while you're
doing your thing, so that others who can't make it can participate.

> Are there any pages we should pay particular attention to?

https://freegeekseattle.org/wiki/index.php?title=User:Themartianist&action=edit&redlink=1
is linked on the Main Page, but Tom has no information on his personal
page nor on the Main Page. I *strongly* suggest no posting of personal
information on the Main Page.

https://freegeekseattle.org/wiki/index.php/Wiki_Maintenance_Working_Group

Just made this page for you lot and anyone else who wiki-works at the
regular.

https://freegeekseattle.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Unfinished

These pages are not finished. Arguably no wiki article is ever
finished, but these are more unfinished than most.

Probably everyone who's on the Working Group should know what
Templates, Categories and Namespaces are.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Namespaces

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Templates

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Categories

Speaking of Templates, we have a few and they are all uncategorized.

https://freegeekseattle.org/wiki/index.php/Special:UncategorizedTemplates

Do they need to be categorized? Will they still be visible on one page
if they are (of course, we can give something more than one category,
so they could share a Category:Templates I suppose)?

The Special pages are a good source of inspiration:

https://freegeekseattle.org/wiki/index.php/Special:SpecialPages

Particularly:

https://freegeekseattle.org/wiki/index.php/Special:PopularPages

ok, by now the meeting has already started... this took a lot longer
to write than I'd anticipated.

ted....@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2014, 3:26:16 PM6/21/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
Elcaset: I'd like to link to your contact information on the front page under hardware donation. How would you prefer interested donors contact you?

Tom Heuser

Jun 21, 2014, 3:43:36 PM6/21/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
Just in case anyone gets this during the meeting I think a general "Contact" section with everyone's contact info including name, email, volunteer role, and description would be good to have.

elcaseti .

Jun 22, 2014, 6:30:40 PM6/22/14
to Free Geek Seattle- to post to mailing list
Ted,

For hardware donations, the best way to contact me is don...@freegeekseattle.org.

Thanks,

Elcaset

Andrew Kane

Jun 22, 2014, 8:47:10 PM6/22/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com

elcaseti .

Jun 22, 2014, 11:13:22 PM6/22/14
to Free Geek Seattle- to post to mailing list
Thanks, Andrew.

Boxcutter729

Jun 23, 2014, 11:29:34 AM6/23/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
So it was just the two of us. I managed to clean up the Build page a little, and revised the whole Safety Class page.

The rest of the pages still need some work. I'll go through them later along with Portland's and pick the best steps from both.

elcaseti .

Jun 23, 2014, 10:23:41 PM6/23/14
to Free Geek Seattle- to post to mailing list
"I'll go through them later along with Portland's and pick the best steps from both."  <---- sounds good.  Thanks.

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 8:29 AM, Boxcutter729 <boxcut...@gmail.com> wrote:
So it was just the two of us. I managed to clean up the Build page a little, and revised the whole Safety Class page.

The rest of the pages still need some work. I'll go through them later along with Portland's and pick the best steps from both.

Andrew Kane

Jun 23, 2014, 11:02:36 PM6/23/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com

boxc...@freegeekseattle.org

Jun 24, 2014, 1:41:34 AM6/24/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
If we're still going forward with that, yeah totally.