wiki upgrade

Mark Foster (Free Geek Seattle)

May 30, 2014, 12:46:51 PM5/30/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone. This morning I upgraded our mediawiki software to the
latest (1.22.7) for freegeekseattle.org. I also changed to a newer logo
and setup SSL under https://freegeekseattle.org/

The certificate was issued by CAcert.org, and since it may not be
preloaded as a trusted Certificate Authority (CA) in your particular
browser. If you get certificate warnings please follow these instructions.

Go to http://www.CAcert.org
Click on Root Certificate (right-hand side)
Click on both these links and Import into your certificate store
Class 1 PKI Key PEM Format
Class 3 PKI Key PEM Format

I believe both are needed.

Afterwards, https://freegeekseattle.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
should show an unbroken Lock icon in your browser.
(See attachment)

Any issues or concerns regarding this or future changes can be addressed
to webm...@freegeekseattle.org, or discussed on the mailing list.

Screenshot-05302014.png

Boxcutter729

May 30, 2014, 1:34:11 PM5/30/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. I'm going to keep working on the content as I have time.

ted....@gmail.com

May 31, 2014, 4:07:42 PM5/31/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
Wait, so every user visiting our Wiki will have to go through these steps? I don't know about you guys, but I usually back out of any site where Google warns me of a security problem.

Andrew Kane

May 31, 2014, 5:24:11 PM5/31/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com

Alex Jordan

May 31, 2014, 7:08:41 PM5/31/14
to freegeek-seattle

On May 30, 2014 9:46 AM, "Mark Foster (Free Geek Seattle)" <mfo...@freegeekseattle.org> wrote:
> Afterwards, https://freegeekseattle.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
> should show an unbroken Lock icon in your browser.

And if it doesn't, you've been MITM'd or something is corrupt. Get rid of that root cert ASAP.

Mark Foster

May 31, 2014, 11:58:02 PM5/31/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
Cacert is a reputable CA, but I concede this is a bit of a pain and certainly not appropriate for casual visitors to be subjected to.
I can suggest the following compromise: we can leave the http (non-secure) site as the default but encourage the use of https for those that are use logins regularly.

Finn Herzfeld

May 31, 2014, 11:59:16 PM5/31/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
Why not go with a CA that is trusted by most browsers? CA cert is sketch as hell.
signature.asc

Dan Ryan

Jun 1, 2014, 9:29:43 PM6/1/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mark,

I like CAcert, but using their certs makes our website appear untrusted in chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer on 99+% of our users computers, including the xubuntu computers we build. Could we please switch to Startcom or another SSL provider?

Thanks,
Dan

Mark Foster

Jun 1, 2014, 10:08:16 PM6/1/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
I have reverted the change for now.
plan is to buy a cert from a CA that browsers trust. it costs money we don't have right now, or are there free alternatives to cacert?
Thanks!

Finn

Jun 1, 2014, 10:10:32 PM6/1/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com

StartCom is free. They signed seattlemesh.net, my personal sites, etc. Hit me up on irc if you want tech support with that, I've done it many a time