Spencer Tunick in Sydney

Gerald Ganglbauer

Feb 13, 2010, 3:57:41 PM2/13/10
to Free Beach Forum
Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras, Australia

New Mardi Gras, with the assistance of the City of Sydney, is pleased to
announce that Spencer Tunick will be making a series of installations in
Sydney on 1st March 2010 as part of the Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras.

http://www.mardigras.org.au/tunick/
http://www.spencertunick.com/

www.freebeach.info

Feb 28, 2010, 5:09:03 PM2/28/10
to Free Beach Forum
Grant Denyer strips naked at Sydney Opera House for Spencer Tunick
AAP / The Daily Telegraph
March 01, 2010 07:51am

AN impressive 5200 people have shed their clothes to pose naked for
renowned photographer Spencer Tunick at the Sydney Opera House.

Organisers had been expecting about 2500 people to turn out for the
mass nude photo on the steps of the iconic Australian landmark.

The number of people who turned out for Tunick beats the number of
people that turned out for Tunick's photo in Melbourne in 2001 when
4,500 stripped off.

Participants have been posing for more than an hour in a variety of
positions from lying down, standing up and embracing cheek to cheek.

People of all shapes, sizes and ages are among the crowd including a
pregnant woman who will be taken to hospital to be induced straight
after the installation.

The photograph subjects are upbeat with many cheering and clapping.

"I want all couples to embrace and kiss, all friends to kiss and all
strangers to do whatever they want,'' Tunick said as he directed the
crowd.

People began arriving at the Opera House from 3am (AEDT) for the
installation called Mardis Gras: The Base, which has been commissioned
by the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardis Gras.

Student, Art Rush, 19, said he was thrilled to participate.

"I'll never get a chance to do this again, it's not worth being
inhibited,'' Rush told AAP.

"It doesn't feel sexual, it just feels tribal, a gathering of
humanity.

"I thought it would be all old people and nudists, but everyone here
is great."

Even the Seven Network's Grant Denyer stripped off and joined the
crowd, keeping his back to the camera as his naked behind was
broadcast on the Sunrise breakfast television program.

Were you at the Opera House? Tell us your story, send us your photos
to onl...@dailytelegraph.com.au

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,26788187-5012980,00.html

www.freebeach.info

Feb 28, 2010, 7:26:21 PM2/28/10
to Free Beach Forum
Sydney stripped bare for Opera House shoot
ABC News

[Photo] Sydneysiders pose nude on the steps of the Opera House
More than 5,000 Sydneysiders strip for Spencer Tunick. (AAP: Dean
Lewins)

Naked Sydneysiders of all shapes, sizes and colours gathered on the
steps of the Sydney Opera House this morning to be the subjects of an
art installation.

About 5,000 people disrobed for Spencer Tunick's work called The Base,
which is part of Sydney's Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Festival.

Tunick is famous for shooting images of people massed together sharing
one common element - nakedness.

Those taking part included rugby league players, doctors, teachers and
a woman pregnant with twins who will be induced later today.

Participants arrived in the early hours of the morning, excited to be
involved in the event.

"It's just a spectacular opportunity, I think, to be a part of a
history-making artwork," one participant said.

"I'm from Estonia so when I saw this Spencer Tunick Base I was like,
'Wow, I want to be here'," added another.

Shots were taken of people standing with their hands in the air,
embracing and lying down.

The work aims to promote equality and diversity in the community.

Tunick says he was pleased with today's turnout, which eclipsed a
similar event in Melbourne nine years ago.

"My biggest challenge was to fill up this large space and make a
'base' of gay, lesbian and straight individuals to make a fabric," he
said.

"I think I did that. I think I accomplished what I set out to do
artistically.

"I'm just very honoured to be part of the Mardi Gras - the gay and
lesbian Mardi Gras - and bring the straight community of Australia
together with the gay community," he added.

Sydney playwright Tommy Murphy says for him, the shoot was a protest
against a recent crackdown on nude bathing in Sydney's east.

"On the other side of Sydney, at La Perouse, there are police kicking
people off nude beaches, so I think it's very important to be naked on
a public monument this morning," Murphy said.

"I think it's an important enough statement and it would be nice for
Sydneysiders to wake up and see a bit of flesh this morning."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/01/2832634.htm?section=justin