ARIA live region support on VoiceOver on Firefox

Abhinav Koppula

Oct 4, 2014, 4:14:44 PM10/4/14
to free...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am working on an open source project dealing with creation of accessible content. I am using aria live regions extensively on my app.
I tried testing my app on Firefox on Mac using VoiceOver. However, the live regions don't get read out by VoiceOver. It is read out on Chrome and Safari but not on Firefox.
I wanted to know if live regions are supported on VoiceOver in Firefox. If they are not supported, what can be done as an alternative?

P.S. I also tried VoiceOver on this page(http://test.cita.illinois.edu/aria/live/live1.php) on Firefox(latest version) but with no luck again.

Thanks,
Abhinav

Bryan Garaventa

Oct 4, 2014, 7:59:32 PM10/4/14
to free...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Are you using a role like status or log, or a specific attribute like aria-live=polite?

Victor Tsaran

Oct 4, 2014, 9:00:14 PM10/4/14
to free...@googlegroups.com
Hi Abhinav.
I suggest not to test with Firefox on Mac OS because the accessibility support there is incomplete and not under active development, as far as I can tell.
Your best bets are Safari and Chrome.