aria-label problem? Need Help

David Ward

Aug 22, 2016, 7:00:03 AM8/22/16
to Free ARIA Community
Hey Folks,
I'm working on making an accessible UEB 2013 Rules Manual Available in HTML. I have example lines with SimBraille. SimBraille uses a special 64 character mapping, so for example "dd" is a period and the to contraction is number six; number sign is a pound symbol or hash. Anywho, I created a javascript routine that interprets these an assigns a friendly aria-label... Now I could have swore this worked in iOS last summer but now in every browser it doesn't work. so here's what my html looks like. A little snippet.

Line 1:

So at this point the aria-label tag isn't being read at all just the line with SimBraille. Even thought its all nested under this <p> tag. I can add aria-hidden to the <font> tag containing the SimBraille it will all work. But that might require some Javascript ninja skills outside my skill set. So I'm looking for a way to implement the aria-label or a similar properties that effectively does both; Its says this is the label ignore anything else nested within here.

So I could use a hand... or ideas??
-David

ps- By the way I'm going to make this javascript freely available under the MIT license. If anybody needs a link to the live examples let me know. I also attached the javascript file and test file.

ascii_braille_aria_v1.js
test.html