Valid empty lists or grids

Mario Batusic

Sep 8, 2014, 10:07:05 AM9/8/14
to free...@googlegroups.com

Hello

I am responsible for designing the accessibility in all our web apps at Fabasoft (http://www.fabasoft.com). We do it all with ARIA.

Here my current problem:

How should we represent emty objects like lists (role=listbox) and grid tables (role=grid)? ARIA spec requires at least one dedicated child/descendant of specific subrole for these objects. In HTML it is allowed to use ul or ol elements also without cnnermost li elements. For test cases and for screen reader purpose of understanding the semantics it woulde important to have the same role on an object independant of it beeing empty or having content.

Thanks in advance for a usable solution.

Ciao     Mario

Alexander Surkov

Sep 8, 2014, 10:39:10 AM9/8/14
to free...@googlegroups.com
I'd say listboxes and grids may be empty, screen readers should handle that fine. If ARIA says opposite then it should be changed.
Thanks.
Alexander.