ARIA Javascript Library for SimBraille?

David Ward

Mar 17, 2014, 11:11:07 AM3/17/14
to free...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking for a Javascript library that will look at a page after loading an take any area's tagged to use a SimBraille font to be modified to have an ARIA label describing the Braille Dots that would be seen or felt by a Braille User.

As example in page: we might have The SimBraille font showing the word "displease" this font uses text in page that uses a special mapping to the 64 combination of braille dots seen. So the word "displease" would appear with out the font or more importantly to the screen reader as ".pl,se" (ignore quotation marks).

The problem with this is a screen reader will read out the ASCII goobly-gop; What I want is a javascript library that knows the 64 ASCII mappings that are used in SimBraille notations and append a ARIA label saying "First Cell Dots 2 5 6, Second cell dots 1 2 3 4, ... etc". By the way I think the mappings are the same as used in .BRF files.

This format is know as Braille ASCII See Link:

Any Ideas?

Ted Drake

Mar 17, 2014, 1:44:23 PM3/17/14
to free...@googlegroups.com
The logic is confusing. Aria label will replace the text, not add to it.

Sent from my iPhone

Mario Batusic

Mar 18, 2014, 7:25:26 AM3/18/14
to free...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
That all has nothing to do with ARIA. And by the way: the modern screen readers have in-built option to switch to contracted braille if you need it. As well as print software for braille embossers. So I don't understand this hack anyway.
Ciao     Mario

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

David Ward

Mar 19, 2014, 7:15:20 AM3/19/14
to free...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Exactly; I want to ..HAVE TO... override the reading of Braille ASCII in page.

Here's the issue I have an HTML document that contains small little sections that contain Braille ASCII that is in CSS sections that use SimBraille to display the Braille ASCII as Visible Braille Dots. The technology is is designed to create a visual of Braille for signted users. However, if a Blind user using a screen reader accessed the same webpage it will read out the Braille ASCII sections verbatim; which gives the user no useful information. The JS library I propose or are looking for would take these CSS labeled sections and create an ARIA label that would over-ride the default ASCII and tell the user something intelligible.

David Ward

Mar 19, 2014, 7:26:18 AM3/19/14
to free...@googlegroups.com
Mario,
Here's an example:

In this example I've just assigned the ARIA value stating these are pictures. I was hoping to make or have something more useful.

David Ward

Apr 3, 2014, 11:10:40 PM4/3/14
to free...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Exactly; I want to ..HAVE TO... override the reading of Braille ASCII in page.

Here's the issue I have an HTML document that contains small little sections that contain Braille ASCII that is in CSS sections that use SimBraille to display the Braille ASCII as Visible Braille Dots. The technology is designed to create a visual of Braille for signted users. However, if a Blind user using a screen reader accessed the same webpage it will read out the Braille ASCII sections verbatim; which gives the user no useful information. Espeically in iOS with VoiceOver. The JS library I propose or are looking for would take these CSS labeled sections and create an ARIA label that would over-ride the default ASCII and tell the user something intelligible.