ARIA Changes in iOS Safari? Why & how do I cope?

David Ward

Sep 12, 2013, 7:11:06 PM9/12/13
to free...@googlegroups.com

Hey all,

I have a web-app that is also compiled and sold on the store using PhoneGap.

My App is a handy tool for the Blind and those who work with Braille & requires ARIA to pass the UI info to VoiceOver.

I use to use aria-labelledby as a critical component, to do this in my HTML tags.

On iOS 4.3.5 it worked fine

all the way I think up through 5.0 ...

But some where along the way

it broke. Because in iOS 6.1.4 it doesn't want to work (iphone5) or on 6.1.3 (ipad2).

However aria-describeby does now work; while previously it didn't..

Is there a break down some where with a changelog of how these ARIA features have been changed over time?

I used these properties on <li> tags maybe they got strict with the tags you can use. Any thoughts?

I might have to use a user-agent filter to adjust from 4.3 iOS to 5.0 + ... unless I can find something that just works myabe aria-label.

Thanks a bunch.

-David

David Ward

Oct 11, 2013, 7:33:00 AM10/11/13
to free...@googlegroups.com
Still haven't found a change log.

Victor Tsaran

Oct 11, 2013, 9:24:52 PM10/11/13
to free...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm, I haven't noticed that.
In general, however, we are left pretty much on our own. If you spot soemthing like you described, you should probably file a bug at bugreporter.apple.com.

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 4:33 AM, David Ward <mrg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Still haven't found a change log.

David Ward

Oct 13, 2013, 8:05:03 AM10/13/13
to free...@googlegroups.com
Ahhh, the bug report; Last time I filed a report there it seemed like a black hole; never got any response. But the problem is the newest iOS is fine. They broke it somewhere in iOS 6. I guess I should have paid more attention. I just wish there was a complete list of ARIA features supported by iOS... an a change log would be nice. Because what broke was aria-labelledby; then in iOS 7 they added it back and aria-describedby which wasn't in there before.
Thanks.
-David