New Talk from Statkraft

Marty Cochrane

Jan 21, 2013, 8:54:39 AM1/21/13
to fra...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I was wondering if you would be interested in hearing a talk from us at Statkraft about two large projects we are just putting the finishing touches to ready for production.
I have tried to put a summary below of what we have done and I would love to come and share some of the problems we have had to overcome with you.
Let me know what you think and if there is anything in particular you would like me to focus on.

Cheers

Marty Cochrane

Real World Web Apps

In Statkraft we need applications that can handle large amounts of data, 24/7 use and the ability to cope with various different working environments. Recently we undertook two new large projects both of which we decided to base on a web platform.

Elspot – This is a tool used 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to sell our hydroelectricity in the Norwegian and Swedish electricity markets. Elspot has to be able to display large data matrices in a user friendly way, deal with constant updating from various people in the organisation as well as having to deal with the possibility of losing a network connection and needing to work Offline.

Some of the technologies used –

ASP MVC 4

WebApi

HTML 5 Single page web app

Twitter Bootstrap

SignalR

IndexDb

Knockoutjs

ElmahR

HighCharts

Jasmine

Circuit Breaker Patterns

Ninject

Selenium

Nunit

RequireJS

Snowman 2.0 – In Statkraft we have a large hydrology department that every winter takes off into the mountains to record hundreds of thousands of snow depth readings. Some of these readings are taken by hand and the rest are from devices that take readings while being towed behind a snow mobile. All this data needs to be recorded into a system that can let the hydrologists model Statkrafts expected water inflow. Snowman is the application that they use to do this. Snowman is heavily built around the ability to input large amounts of data and be able to view and manipulate the data in various different ways.

Some of the technologies used –

ASP MVC 4

Kendo UI

HighStocks

KnockoutJs

Nunit

Ninject

Trygve Lie

Jan 23, 2013, 6:24:35 AM1/23/13
to fra...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I think this sounds interesting and it is also in the line of a couple
of other proposals we have got. See:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/framsia/o-BYOIjYuHA

I think we should be able to set up an evening with the focus on what we
put in our stack. What do you think about that?

Maybe I shoud start a new mail tread aiming to get this and the other
proposal into a discussion about setting up a meet-up.

You do list a lot of technologies do you suggest one talk trying to
cover all of these technologies? Do you wanna cover how you use them
together or do you wanna focus on just a couple?

Personally I like talks which focus much more on single topics and goes
a bit hard core than talks which just say we use this and this
framework.

Trygve
> --

Message has been deleted

Marty Cochrane

Jan 23, 2013, 7:51:47 AM1/23/13
to fra...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Yeah that sounds good to create some sort of a stack that we can put these suggestions into.

Regarding this talk, I can do one of two things. Talk about our overall experience with writing such a demanding single page web app covering how we solved various problems like being able to use the application offline in a disaster situation (maybe better for someone wanting a whole picture of how to attach a single page web app). Or I can focus completely on a topic (a bit more code based) like how we used SignalR for user notifications and ElmahR to create a error status board so we could track errors in our app.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Gregers Gram Rygg

Mar 11, 2013, 7:05:14 PM3/11/13
to fra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marty,

Sorry we never got back to you earlier, but we haven't forgot you ;) Are you able to do a meetup right after easter? We'll try to do a meetup on some companies frontend technology-stacks.

Personally both subjects sound appealing, and close to the technology-stack theme. You choose :)

Cheers,
Gregers

Marty Cochrane

Mar 13, 2013, 5:54:42 AM3/13/13
to fra...@googlegroups.com
Yes after Easter works perfectly for me.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "framsia" group.