Index failing to start, and it's not letting me rebuild

Luke Thompson

Mar 6, 2017, 11:05:31 PM3/6/17
to foxtrot-search
When I try to click on the index to search I get the following message.

The “Main Index” index previously failed to start. Do you want to rebuild it?  ["Main Index" is what I named the index.]

If I press "start" at this point I get the following message:

An error occurred when starting the index “Main Index”.   File permissions error.

If I instead press "rebuild" rather than "start," I get the same message, i.e.:

An error occurred when starting the index “Main Index”.   File permissions error.

I'm running Foxtrot Professional Version 5.7 build 1436 on a Mac (macOS Sierra v. 10.12.3).

Any suggestions?

Luke Thompson

Red Hook, New York

FoxTrot Engineering

Mar 7, 2017, 4:12:04 AM3/7/17
to foxtrot...@googlegroups.com
Luke Thompson wrote:

>If I press "start" at this point I get the following message:
>
>*An error occurred when starting the index “Main Index”. *File
>permissions error.

Did you check in the Finder that you have read and write permissions on your index file? It is located, by default, in {home folder}/Library/FoxTrot. Press the option key when using the Finder's "Go" menu in order to see this Library folder.

Jérôme - CTM Engineering

"Foxtrot Professional Search is a fantastic application. I simply
couldn't live without it."
FoxTrot Professional Search user comment

Download a demo version from www.foxtrot.ch