I would like to understand better how to allow multiple users to use Foxtrot

ct...@polycello.com

Apr 12, 2016, 8:47:45 AM4/12/16
to foxtrot-search
Please tell me more about the limited Windows Server.

Most of our users would be OK with only viewing PDFs.

We would want our pre-press staff to have the full version on the Mac side.

I would like to be able to have one person prepare the Indices and have my
other users search from these indices. What is the best way to do this?

We are preparing to purchase FoxTrot and are trying to best understand how
to deploy it.

CTM Development

Apr 12, 2016, 9:00:08 AM4/12/16
to Foxtrot Search
Sir,

The Windows server limitations are that indexes a fewer number of file types, limited to PDF, .doc, .txt (UTF8), it has no Windows client or admin, both search and administration need to be performed from a Mac. It comes unsupported along with FoxTrot Server licences.

What we would recommend for your scenario below is that you designate a Mac on your network to index your SAN and your client Macs would connect both to the SAN for accessing the files and to the FoxTrot Server running on the Mac for performing searches. The only thing to pay attention to is creating an index at the same mount point, path and acccess privileges that your clients would access. And the admin can be run on any Mac, not necessarily on the Server Mac at all.

Thank you for your interest in FoxTrot Search, we look forward to having you on-board. To expedite your license processing, please contact us directly at ctm-...@ctmdev.com.

Best regards,

Chantal Favre/CTM

--

---

Chris Tod

Apr 12, 2016, 10:35:06 AM4/12/16
to foxtrot...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Chantal

Regarding the “Windows” server: how is it Windows if search and admin need to be done on Macs, with no Windows Clients? Can someone with a PC do anything with FoxTrot?

Please explain what SAN stands for.

Thanks!

Chris Tod | Senior Graphics Technician

12 Tupper Boulevard | Amherst, NS B4H 4S7

T: 902-661-7234 | F: 902-667-7698ct...@polycello.com

unknown.jpg

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "foxtrot-search" group.