This will get Forecastfox 2.2.4 to work with Firefox 29!

DrivinDave

May 9, 2014, 1:40:21 PM5/9/14
to forecast...@googlegroups.com
I finally got around the "Connection Error" for installing Forcastfox 2.2.4 to work with Firefox 29.
First, a Big Thank you to those who posted the Getforecastfox Link!

Select and highlight the link below and Right-Click on it:

https://static.getforecastfox.com/downloads/forecastfox-latest.xpi

 and choose with a Left Click "Save Link As" and download it as a file. It will be saved as "forecastfox-latest.xpi" in your Downloads Folder.

In Firefox go to Tools and choose "Add-ons" to open the Add-ons Manager page.
Click the Gear-Shaped Icon in the upper right of the page and choose "Install Add-on from File" and navigate to your Downloads Folder and open the Saved Link File "forecastfox-latest.xpi"

Forecastfox 2.2.4 will by default will be in your Top Menu in Firefox 29. I use "The Addon Bar (restored) 3.2 which can be installed from the Add-ons Manager, to display Forecastfox at the Bottom Bar in Firefox.

Jeff Lackey

May 10, 2014, 9:52:49 AM5/10/14
to forecast...@googlegroups.com
When I right click and save as on that link it downloads as an htm, rather than the xpi file. :(

Willy

May 10, 2014, 11:44:28 AM5/10/14
to forecast...@googlegroups.com

Jeff: All I did was click on the link and the .xpi was installed.
Message has been deleted

Annette Freeman

May 10, 2014, 12:24:17 PM5/10/14
to forecast...@googlegroups.com
I did the same, Willy. When I tried the instructions in the first post, it stated the the file was corrupted. Clicking the link worked, however. Thanks! :)

shadow...@gmail.com

May 11, 2014, 1:58:45 AM5/11/14
to forecast...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!  I love Forecastfox and am delaying upgrading to FF 29.1 because when I went to FF 29 I lost it.  Had to go back to FF 28.

Does this fix work for FF 29.1?

Jeff Lackey

May 11, 2014, 9:37:45 AM5/11/14
to forecast...@googlegroups.com
Ive got it installed, and I can drag the icons to the add on bar on the bottom. However, every time I shut down FF and start it back up, it's gone again. :(

David Marks

May 11, 2014, 7:30:26 PM5/11/14
to forecast...@googlegroups.com
For those who use nightly, I tried this Forecastfox 2.2.4 on 32.0a1.  Works as it should.  I put it on the bookmark toolbar after I took off all bookmarks.  I use this bar as a second toolbar.

John G

May 13, 2014, 5:09:44 PM5/13/14
to forecast...@googlegroups.com
Scared to use links provided by others that do not go to the home web site for the add on or from Mozilla.

I am disappointed that Forecastfox does not work with version 29, but more scared of introducing some malware on my system. May be fine, but may also be something you really do not want.

The Addon Bar (Restored) https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/the-addon-bar/ adds back the addon bar.

Theoretically, this should give Forecastfox a place to reside. Some other add ons used the add on bar just fine.

NedF

May 14, 2014, 1:38:04 PM5/14/14
to forecast...@googlegroups.com
I keep seeing message saying that Forecastfox won't work with Firefox 29, but I've been using it with all the FF 29 beta versions and now with the version 30 betas.  Right now Forecastfox displays in the menu bar, but could as well be in the navigation or bookmark toolbars.  I have no status bar at all and don't use any extensions that try to restore the previous features from FF like the status bar or default theme.  So if you're having a problem getting it to work with FF 29, it's something in your profile, and not in Forecastfox or Firefox.  I do have the latest version, 2.2.4.

Mihály Mayer

May 14, 2014, 4:02:10 PM5/14/14
to forecast...@googlegroups.com
Hello! Thank You, you helped a lot that I can come to life your favorite addon!! THX

Mihály Mayer

May 14, 2014, 4:06:33 PM5/14/14
to forecast...@googlegroups.com

Hello! Thank You, you helped a lot that I can come to life your favorite addon!! THX

Mihály Mayer

May 14, 2014, 4:07:56 PM5/14/14
to forecast...@googlegroups.com

Akash Doode

May 15, 2014, 11:52:36 AM5/15/14
to forecast...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know why the author for FF hasn't just updated to work with 29?

Bryan Price

May 15, 2014, 12:16:34 PM5/15/14
to Akash Doode, forecastfox-users
On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 11:52 AM, Akash Doode <akash...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does anyone know why the author for FF hasn't just updated to work with 29?

That's what the 2.2.4 version does.  Now, why it isn't on addons.mozilla.org?  It seems that only Mozilla can actually answer that.  There have been multiple issues evidently going on.  Multipart extensions like Noia 4 can not be uploaded anymore to AMO, because the validation or multiparts has been broken.  For some time.  People already aren't really feeling good about Australis from what I've been catching in my reading.  Dan would like to get it working with 29 without depending on other extensions, and he's looking for feedback that, I really have to say, I don't have a clue.  Now with Addon Bar Restored, I like it as it is, but it's obviously going to have to change.  Maybe it will be a button that you hover over, and get the radar, and click to get the various days (and nights), and then click on THOSE tiles/buttons to get detailed information.  I really dunno.

I think Mozilla isn't taking Firefox in the right direction.  I've expressed that on a Mozilla forum.  Nobody has said that I'm right, but nobody is arguing with me that I am wrong, either.  Looking like a Chrome clone, when it clearly isn't, is a huge mistake.  Why are they following what they perceive as Google's lead in aesthetics?  The seem to have put plenty of work into efforts that have resulted in zero actual worth, like working on Metro Firefox (cockblocked by Microsoft, no less) instead of maybe (nothing's for sure) a more worthwhile support of a 64-bit Firefox for Windows.  Then there's the social stuff that has evidently has been swallowed into a share button, a button that isn't even movable when it exists.  And if you don't already have the Facebook service installed, it seems that you can't get it installed either.

I'm not feeling real positive about Mozilla's chances at keeping its usage levels the same, let alone grow them.

Alexandra Dobryn

May 19, 2014, 8:50:25 AM5/19/14
to forecast...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, it works!

Deja Springfield

May 25, 2014, 3:15:42 PM5/25/14
to forecast...@googlegroups.com
This works temporarily; when ForecostFox updates the weather information (or when I close Firefox), it disappears from the Add-On Bar. Same thing happens when I add it to the Toolbar or to the Menu.
Am I doing something wrong, here? It seems to work just fine for most of you...?

Bryan Price

May 25, 2014, 8:59:58 PM5/25/14
to Deja Springfield, forecastfox-users
On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 3:15 PM, Deja Springfield <jetengi...@gmail.com> wrote:
This works temporarily; when ForecostFox updates the weather information (or when I close Firefox), it disappears from the Add-On Bar. Same thing happens when I add it to the Toolbar or to the Menu.
Am I doing something wrong, here? It seems to work just fine for most of you...?

Something funky is in your profile.  Open "about:support", open your profile, write down or copy the location.  Open a Command Prompt, and go to your profile location.

CLOSE FIREFOX.  Otherwise, open files may not be modified like they should be by the next command.

Type in:

attrib -r * /s /d

That will remove all read-only attributes on all files and directories in your profile.  attrib.exe is found in your %SYSTEMROOT%\system32 directory, so there's nothing to download to get that, it's part of Windows.

Restart Firefox.  You may have to move it again, but, if that is indeed the problem, your problem is fixed.

If it doesn't, the you need to reset your profile (see the about:support page to do that), but that will lose all of your bookmarks and other extensions, so backup your bookmarks and make a list of extensions that you need to reinstall.  If THAT doesn't work, then you need to delete and start a new profile.  Same thing, you need your bookmarks and list of extensions.  I would NOT use a profile backup utility, that backup may contain the issue that is causing this.  This way, everything starts out fresh.

jetenginejesus

May 25, 2014, 9:22:42 PM5/25/14
to forecast...@googlegroups.com, Deja Springfield
Thanks, bytehead. Changing the attributes in my profile didn't work. I'll try resetting the profile later, but TBH, this seems like a pretty bit PITA for a little weather widget...
What did Mozilla change in v29 that broke ForecastFox? I mean, aside from cosmetically removing the add-on bar?

Deja Springfield

May 25, 2014, 9:27:31 PM5/25/14
to forecast...@googlegroups.com

Or did the v29 update just screw up my profile somehow...?

Bryan Price

May 25, 2014, 10:40:45 PM5/25/14
to jetenginejesus, forecastfox-users
On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 9:22 PM, jetenginejesus <jetengi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks, bytehead. Changing the attributes in my profile didn't work. I'll try resetting the profile later, but TBH, this seems like a pretty bit PITA for a little weather widget...
What did Mozilla change in v29 that broke ForecastFox? I mean, aside from cosmetically removing the add-on bar?

This has been an ongoing problem for some people.  I've never seen it happen.  When it wouldn't update (which was another Firefox change), yeah, I saw that.  But this has not been something that I have had to deal with.  It always seems to happen after an update of Firefox, but no one has really found a reason why, let alone a real cure.  But a clean profile has never failed to get it working correctly ever that I know of.  I know SOME people have had things fixed by resetting everything to writable.  I'm running 32.0A1 Nightly myself, so I've been running 29.0 long before you updated.  And the problem then was that there was no status bar, and nobody had a working extension to add it back that worked in getting FCF back.  Until Addon Bar Restored updated to version 3.0.  THEN it started working for me.  Again.

On Sunday, May 25, 2014 6:59:58 PM UTC-6, bytehead wrote:
[...]

"I never said half the things the Internet says I said." -- Mark Twain

jetenginejesus

May 26, 2014, 1:30:04 PM5/26/14
to forecast...@googlegroups.com, jetenginejesus
It's probably worth noting that I have this same problem on all of my computers: a PC running Win7 Pro, a MacPro running 10.6.8, and an iMac running 10.7, and that the ForecastFox info disappears upon update regardless of whether I'm using Add-On Bar Restore or Classic Theme Restore. That's what led me to believe that it as an issue with v29 itself, or with ForecastFox.

Bryan Price

May 26, 2014, 7:20:24 PM5/26/14
On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 1:30 PM, jetenginejesus <jetengi...@gmail.com> wrote:
It's probably worth noting that I have this same problem on all of my computers: a PC running Win7 Pro, a MacPro running 10.6.8, and an iMac running 10.7, and that the ForecastFox info disappears upon update regardless of whether I'm using Add-On Bar Restore or Classic Theme Restore. That's what led me to believe that it as an issue with v29 itself, or with ForecastFox.

That doesn't rule out another extension doing something that knocks Forecastfox out, either.  I guessing that they are synced?