Updates: New vegan project, and online vegan store for Canada!

Dave Shishkoff

Jul 1, 2015, 3:23:35 PM7/1/15
to foa-vict...@googlegroups.com, victoria-...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone and Happy Canada Day! Hope you’ve all been well. =)

I haven’t sent out an update for a while, I’ve actually temporarily been over in Vancouver for the last year, but still working hard on vegan projects! Here’s what I’ve been up to that might be of interest:

VeganStart.org

VeganStart is a new, registered non-profit organization working hard to help people go vegan! When someone asks ‘how do I go vegan’, it can be a challenge to offer a quick and easy response. We say: start with your breakfast! It’s a very easy meal to ‘veganize’, and is not nearly as intimidating as other programs (which are typically 7 or more day ‘kickstarters’). Plus, research has shown those who ease into going vegan, rather than going 100% overnight, tend to stay vegan. (While I went overnight, and it’s been over 24yrs, I am apparently an outlier. The people who remain vegan became vegan in stages.) However, instead of ‘eliminating foods’, our focus is on actually practicing veganism, and intentionally making vegan meals.

For those who are already vegan, we’re a new tool for you when talking with people who are interested in making the switch. We offer info cards that can be handed out or left in public places like bulletin boards, and our website offers essential info, like tips for converting your breakfast, and ‘Sneaky Ingredients’ to watch out for when going vegan. We’ve been posting informative blog posts, like our January post debunking the claim that almonds are drying up California (months before any other groups started talking about it) and offer some fun recipe like ‘Fauxtella’ (a quick & easy vegan ‘Nutella’ recipe) and Smokey Maple Beet Bacon.

Check out our site VeganStart.org, and follow our Twitter and Facebook accounts to get informative news, daily breakfast inspirations, and other tips and info. (And sign up over there for email updates too!)

VeganSupply.ca

I’m really excited to share that opening soon is VeganSupply.ca, an online vegan shop to fulfill all your vegan needs! Our catalogue is starting to fill up, and already have over 200 items available. Some will be familiar, others will be new to you and hard to find in Canada, including some incredible US artisan nut cheeses, like Miyoko’s and Vtopian, sweets like Cocomels and Liefie’s Caramels, to several brands of vegan jerky, and the popular Butler Soy Curls, which we can barely keep in stock!

The site isn’t officially open yet, but I’m giving you guys the inside scoop! Head over to www.VeganSupply.ca, and near the bottom enter ‘betatest1’ as the password, and you’ll have full access! Browse around, and if you’d like to place an order, use the discount code ‘TheVictoriaVegan’ to get 10% off (except for the appliances from Angel, Excalibur and Vitamix). Code is good until the end of July 15th.

Enjoy your excusive access, and be sure to subscribe for Vegan Supply email updates! Let me know what you think, and if you have any requests or suggestions – we’d love to hear from you.

Of course, The Victoria Vegan is still active – although there isn’t too much activism lately. I’m still posting updates to our Facebook page and Twitter accounts several times a week, and our popular Facebook Group is a good place for discussion. I can’t wait to return to Victoria, and get things rolling again!

Thanks for checking out my updates, hope you find them helpful, and peas out for now! =)

- Dave