Pushing fo-Dicom updates to nuget

Hesham Desouky

Feb 25, 2015, 7:45:08 AM2/25/15
to fo-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello Gurus,

I have useful updates for fo-dicom and I feel it will be great to share this work over nuget.org

as I understand no one can publish to nuget use the same fo-dicom name.

Any sugesstions for a new name for the library?

I was thinking about dicom.net :)

What do you think?

Ian Yates

Feb 26, 2015, 9:53:14 PM2/26/15
to fo-d...@googlegroups.com
Not a bad name :)

I know there was some chatter in here a few weeks ago about standardising on a repository from which everyone could fork and then contribute back.  It would probably help to get something on that front solidified too so that these little (but very useful / important!) fixes can be brought back in to one place.

For example, I did a bit of refactoring in my own copy so that I could use Serilog rather than NLog in the code.  Things like abstracting the logging away so that we have some kind of IDicomLogger interface used in fo-DICOM that's then implemented by companion NuGet packets would be neat.  It'd be a breaking change at the moment so it makes keeping my copy in sync with others more difficult and I suspect it wouldn't be welcome as something just pushed upstream to someone's repo without everyone getting on board.

So... What do others think about this NuGet name and marking one repository as the centre of the fo-DICOM (or dicom.net) world?

Daniel Howard

Feb 28, 2015, 10:54:22 AM2/28/15
to fo-d...@googlegroups.com
I like it!  I am surprised that other .NET DICOM libraries haven't tried to use this name already. :-)

It definitely has my vote!

Hesham Desouky

Mar 1, 2015, 4:02:32 PM3/1/15
to fo-d...@googlegroups.com
Where is all the fo-Dicom fans, we need more energy here guys!

Chris Horn

Mar 2, 2015, 4:50:17 AM3/2/15
to fo-d...@googlegroups.com
well untill recently this name was used, the domain name use to point to another open source c# project it's also verry similar to
openDicom.net (http://sourceforge.net/projects/opendicom/)

TheWilliamSkipper

Mar 2, 2015, 8:52:31 AM3/2/15
to fo-d...@googlegroups.com
dicom.rocks,

dicom.ninja

are available domains :)

dicom.net is great !

Bob

Mar 3, 2015, 9:18:17 AM3/3/15
to fo-d...@googlegroups.com
dicom.net sounds terrific.  Keep up the fantastic work!

Hesham Desouky

Mar 8, 2015, 4:40:38 PM3/8/15
to fo-d...@googlegroups.com
opendicom.net is not an active project with last update 2 years ago.

dicomdotnet is available domain (www.dicomdotnet.com) but i am currently talking about the Nuget package name :)

Hesham Desouky

Mar 11, 2015, 7:42:11 PM3/11/15
to fo-d...@googlegroups.com
We need to agree on 2 things
1. The main repository to push good and high quality hanges into.
2. The name of the Nuget library name (is this should match the main repository name?)

The above requires a responsible person to take care of the above 2 points, others may help on reviewing pull requests.

Waiting your feedback ASAP to bring this project back to life :)

Hesham

Jussi Mattila

Mar 13, 2015, 7:47:29 AM3/13/15
to fo-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

First of all, dicom.net is a fantastic name for the library going forward!

1. I propose setting up an organization with the name DicomNet in GitHub (it is available, just checked it). Then create in that organization a repository for Dicom.Net.
2. Nuget could of course be named Dicom.Net.

That's my 2 cents,

  - Jussi Mattila

Hesham Desouky

Mar 14, 2015, 6:13:01 PM3/14/15
to fo-d...@googlegroups.com
I agree for the repository name, but for organization name we should look for something more general in case of adding new projects to the Org.

I am thinking of Organization with related medical related work (Dicom Libraries (.Net, JavaScript), Visualization, etc.)

What do you think?

Jussi Mattila

Mar 18, 2015, 7:23:39 AM3/18/15
to fo-d...@googlegroups.com
I don't have a strong opinion on the org name, but agree that it could be a bit more general.

Since I'm really bad at naming / branding things, I'm not going to propose anything. :-)

   - Jussi

Hesham Desouky

Mar 19, 2015, 8:57:25 AM3/19/15
to fo-d...@googlegroups.com
I suggest to hold a conference call to finalize the following:

1- The new Library Name
2- Are we going to create new Google Group? If yes, what are we going to get use of the current group heritage?
3- Who is going to participate in library development?

I would like to hear from you regarding this suggestion

Anders Gustafsson Cureos AB

Mar 20, 2015, 6:58:41 AM3/20/15
to fo-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hesham and other interested parties,

A conference call sounds good.

I am also very interested to keep this great library alive. As I have mentioned earlier, I would like to see a community effort of turning the library into one or more Portable Class Libraries, PCL, to facilitate the use of the fo-dicom successor on modern Windows, as well as tablets and phones of all flavors (Windows Phone, Android, iOS). In my fork I have developed separate libraries for Windows 8.1 (desktops and tablets) and Windows Phone 8.1. These libraries rely on the support library Shim which provides basic implementations of .NET types and methods that are otherwise not available on the Windows 8.1/Windows Phone 8.1 platforms. Ideally, I would like to see a common PCL library for the base DICOM functionality, together with target specific support libraries for the IO, network and graphics handling that tends to be unique for each platform.

Since Colby announced that he would no longer actively develop fo-dicom, I have tried my best to merge the various bug fixes and minor enhancements that have been made on the other fo-dicom forks. In particular I have merged a few commits from Hesham's and Chris' forks, and I have also received a few pull requests with bug fixes and up-to-date parsing of the latest DICOM dictionary from Rickard Holmberg. Thank you all for your contributions. In total, I believe that my fork should be in rather good shape if you want a code base for the revived library.

I intend to continue contributing to the revived library also, with a focus on turning it truly PCL. If portability would become a main goal for the new library, maybe "Everywhere DICOM" could be a good name fit? :-)

Regards,
Anders @ Cureos

Hesham Desouky

Mar 23, 2015, 6:42:15 AM3/23/15
to fo-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andres,

Thanks for your input. I like the PCL concept, specially with Xamarian :)

But we need first to standardize the library naming, github main repository and the Nuget package update.

When it will be possible to do this conference chat/call to finalize these issues?

Please propose your times if you are interested to join such call.

BR,

Anders Gustafsson Cureos AB

Mar 23, 2015, 10:38:00 AM3/23/15
to fo-d...@googlegroups.com
I should be able to attend at most regular office hours (Sweden time zone) Monday-Friday.

I have a feeling though, that it could be difficult to find a conference time that fits all, since I believe that there could be stakeholders in most parts of the world. How about setting up a chat room for this issue instead? For example, https://gitter.im would offer a natural chat room place for us Github users. It should be a simple task to set up a dedicated channel, named for example fo-dicom-future.

What do you think?

Best regards,
Anders

Ian Yates

Mar 23, 2015, 7:58:21 PM3/23/15
to fo-d...@googlegroups.com
The gitter room sounds like a great idea.  I'm not involved enough in fo-DICOM yet to feel like I'd be able to contribute significantly to a core team phone call but would be more than happy to contribute to an online chat about this awesome project's future.

Hesham Desouky

Mar 24, 2015, 5:58:13 AM3/24/15
to fo-d...@googlegroups.com