Requesting help for 1.0

Jordan Mendler

Jul 8, 2014, 9:14:43 PM7/8/14
to flys...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We will be making a push on Flyspray over the next couple of months to add some new features and fix bugs needed to launch the long awaited 1.0. Two of our engineers will be contributing code to help accomplish this, but given that Flyspray is strictly an open-source and volunteer effort, I would like to request help from members of the Flyspray community to help get an awesome 1.0 hammered out and released. I know everyone is busy, but even contributing a day or two to fixing bugs or taking on feature requests would make a huge difference. No time contribution is too small!!!

I appreciate all of the patches we have received over the last few months and will be working to get those integrated into Git. If anyone wants Git access to make it easier to contribute, please let me know.

Lastly, another idea is to have a hackathon during which we could spend a few days dedicated to hammering out flyspray code. We could host a hackathon in our office in Los Angeles any time in August. We are close to the beach, UCLA and tons of good restaurants so can make it a fun event if we could get attendance. Would anyone be interested in partaking in a Flyspray hackathon?

Cordially,
Jordan

________________________
Jordan Mendler
The Veloz Group
The Veloz Group
President & Chief Technology Officer
jor...@thevelozgroup.com
www.thevelozgroup.com

Romain Riviere

Jul 9, 2014, 4:25:10 PM7/9/14
to flys...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jordan,

And here I was thinking "FlySpray seems dead, I might as well
unsubscribe" :-)

It's been ages since I last looked at the code and, frankly, I'm not
sure I could help at all. But I'll just stick around in case I can :)

Also, I believe the Wiki might need some freshening up. There are still
references to the old SF repo, while the Github one should probably
figure more prominently on the main page. It's probably stuff like that
that caused the Wikipedia page to be deleted.

Anyway, glad that there's been stuff happening, the commit timeline is
quite a pleasant surprise :)

Cheers
--
Romain

Jordan Mendler

Jul 9, 2014, 5:53:58 PM7/9/14
to flys...@googlegroups.com

Romain,

Fly spray has many active users and is far from dead. Given the lack of contributors however development is inconsistent and goes in spurts.

Any contributions are of help be them code contributions or documentation cleanup. Let me know how you would like to help and I can give you git hub access and/or wiki edit access

----------
Jordan Mendler

Sent from mobile. Please excuse any typos.

--
Romain

galactic void

Jul 14, 2014, 7:31:28 PM7/14/14
to flys...@googlegroups.com, jor...@thevelozgroup.com
A few questions:

1. Is the plan to continue using adodb or use the PDO branch?
2. There is a todo list for 1.0 in the Flyspray issue tracker. Is this up to date? Are there other features wanted for 1.0?
3. Would there be any objections to composer for dependencies?

Jordan Mendler

Jul 14, 2014, 9:30:57 PM7/14/14
to galactic void, flys...@googlegroups.com
1. Is the plan to continue using adodb or use the PDO branch?

The plan is to keep using what is in the main line. If someone wants to volunteer to work on this and stabilize/support a different library I am happy to switch over. But for me personally, I don't care enough to invest my time making the change over other features that are more important to me.

2. There is a todo list for 1.0 in the Flyspray issue tracker. Is this up to date? Are there other features wanted for 1.0?

It is more or less up to date. We can include other features if someone volunteers to implement them. From my perspective, I currently have 2 engineers working on Flyspray for the next couple of months so my two priorities are (1) implementing the features we need for our organization as part of 1.0 and (2) fixing show-stopping bugs to ensure that 1.0 is stable and bug-free.

Beyond that, it would be great to include additional features and improvements, but given the lack of manpower I am not sure how likely that is right now without additional people contributing.

3. Would there be any objections to composer for dependencies?

I would put this out to a vote. I do not feel strongly one way or another, so am game for whatever people prefer.

galactic void

Jul 18, 2014, 5:02:35 PM7/18/14
to flys...@googlegroups.com, galact...@gmail.com, jor...@thevelozgroup.com

3. Would there be any objections to composer for dependencies?

I would put this out to a vote. I do not feel strongly one way or another, so am game for whatever people prefer.

I added composer to my fork and it's using the latest versions Adodb and Swiftmail
I also did some initial cleanup work removing PHP < 5.4 compatibility code and unused code (the Zend and Validate libraries in external. Validate was only being used for email address checks and was replaced with filter_val.)

If this is of interest I'll do a pull request.

Jordan Mendler

Jul 18, 2014, 5:24:09 PM7/18/14
to flys...@googlegroups.com, galactic void, Shilin Zhou

We would be happy to include all of your changes. I personally do not mind pinning flyspray to newer versions of php, so long as we remain compatible with the latest release of debian. If anyone objects, please weigh in.

If you submit a pull request, Shilin, who is cc ed can help merge everything in and make sure everything is working. If you have any other contributions you'd like to submit, or if you'd like to help take on some of the tasks in the bug tracker, we can happily give you commit access.

Much appreciated,
Jordan

MCFC_CTID

Nov 11, 2014, 10:22:44 PM11/11/14
to flys...@googlegroups.com, jor...@thevelozgroup.com
Problems with composer  especially on limited shared hosting environments .... I tried for two days to install latest version for someone on a shared environment but had to give up , out of memory errors ...

Bryan Tong

Nov 11, 2014, 10:34:13 PM11/11/14
to flys...@googlegroups.com, Jordan Mendler
Before I switched to node we called it "compblowser"

eSited LLC