Re: [flyspray] Feature request: Effort (Hours Estimate)

Jordan Mendler

Jan 7, 2013, 6:31:08 AM1/7/13
to flys...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nathaniel,

This feature has been requested before, but I am not aware of any developers that it is a high priority for. Since everyone is pretty busy and we do not get paid for our work on Flyspray, the developers here tend to implement the features they need personally. For that reason, I am not sure if/when it will ever get implemented.

Now if you would like to implement support for time estimates and submit a patch, we would all greatly appreciate it since that would make Flyspray better for everyone. Or alternatively, if you would like to contribute some money to one of the developers for this specific feature, that may help incentivize someone to step up and implement it.

In the mean time, I would certainly advise you to add a feature request to our ticket tracker in case someone feels compelled to code it up. http://bugs.flyspray.org

________________________
Jordan Mendler
The Veloz Group
The Veloz Group
President & Chief Technology Officer
jor...@thevelozgroup.com
www.thevelozgroup.com

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Nathaniel Baughman <n.e.ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello, I'm a long-time fan of Flyspray, but there is one (missing) feature preventing me from continuing on: task Effort. This has been mentioned before, but here's my request:

a) Add a field to to record Effort (hours to complete) for each task
b) On the Roadmap, simply show the sum of all Effort for each version's group of tasks (total and remaining)

Minimally, Effort is specified in hours. As an enhancement, consider allowing simple syntax for specifying the time in hours vs days vs weeks (e.g., a 1-week task is specified as 1w in the Effort field). There is no need to mix hours/days/weeks (specifying 1w,2d,3h is not necessary).

For me, all I need is the sum total of Effort for a version. As an enhancement, a Gantt chart could be shown to account for each developer who is assigned the tasks (and maybe unassigned tasks either linearly or divided by number of users on project)... This is way beyond what I personally need. Even just part (a) would allow me to continue to use Flyspray.

Thanks for any direction/feedback on this! If this has been integrated before, please let me know where I can find sample code. I'm a developer, but not (yet) familiar with Flyspray's internals.

Nathaniel Baughman

Jan 7, 2013, 10:06:43 AM1/7/13
to flys...@googlegroups.com, jor...@thevelozgroup.com
Jordan, Thank you very much for your reply. I do understand that Flyspray is maintained on an as-needed/as-motivated basis. My first step was to ascertain whether anyone had already implemented this feature - thank you for your insights on this.

Since this feature hasn't been implemented yet, I would certainly consider contributing the feature myself. Can you (or someone else) point me to any documentation or simple example of how/where to add such a feature to Flyspray. I can code the PHP and SQL, but I'm not yet familiar with Flyspray's structure, and I'd want to implement this cleanly so it can be incorporated into future versions.

Thank you (and the community) for any direction you can provide.

Přemek Brada

Jan 7, 2013, 11:25:11 AM1/7/13
to flys...@googlegroups.com
Hello Nathaniel,

some time ago we tried enhancing Flyspray with effort-related fields and reports, working on a "private" fork of an early github version. Although the results never got released, they are available at Assembla site of our project  https://www.assembla.com/spaces/dBYP2CjL4r34M8eJe5afGb/tickets?tickets_report_id=0 -- you could start at the ticket list and dig into the code there (mixed with other enhancements like mass issue editing). Some reasoning behind the mods is at http://wiki.kiv.zcu.cz/PremekBrada/FlysprayEnhancements .

We don't continue with that project so you are completely free to do with it whatever you want :)  Let me know please in case it was any useful.

Best,
Premek

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/flyspray/-/-DcT0lp6fBMJ.

Premek Brada
  Associate Prof, Head of Software Eng and Information Systems Section
  University of West Bohemia in Pilsen, CZ
  www.kiv.zcu.cz | facebook.com/kivzcu

  office:  (+420) 377 63 2435  |  brada at kiv.zcu.cz  |  br...@jabber.cz
  about:  www.kiv.zcu.cz/~brada/ |  linkedin.com/in/pbrada
  social:  @pbrada  |  facebook.com/premek.brada

Nathaniel Baughman

Jan 8, 2013, 10:18:37 AM1/8/13
to flys...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much for providing me with this, Premek. Mass editing is another feature I've desired. My schedule is really busy this month, but I will definitely look into the progress you've already made. This will be a great step in the right direction.

Přemek Brada

Jan 9, 2013, 7:26:43 PM1/9/13
to flys...@googlegroups.com

Nathaniel,

you are welcome. No guarantees about the quality and suitability of the code of course :) Otherwise, I am more than busy as well, so no hurry on my side at all.

Premek

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/flyspray/-/ZA3qYU849h8J.

Nathaniel Baughman

Jan 22, 2013, 11:05:29 AM1/22/13
to flys...@googlegroups.com
I have added FS#1821 for this feature request. I hope it makes it into the next version. Please vote up if you like it.

Jordan Mendler

Jan 22, 2013, 2:08:32 PM1/22/13
to flys...@googlegroups.com

I combined all those tickets into FS1609. Please put all the comments there so everything is in one place. Thanks

________________________
Jordan Mendler
President & Chief Technology Officer, The Veloz Group
jor...@thevelozgroup.com | www.thevelozgroup.com

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse spelling and grammatical errors resulting from speech-to-text.

On Jan 22, 2013 8:05 AM, "Nathaniel Baughman" <n.e.ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have added FS#1821 for this feature request. I hope it makes it into the next version. Please vote up if you like it.

Jordan Mendler

Jan 22, 2013, 2:14:16 PM1/22/13
to flys...@googlegroups.com

Premek,

We are now using git on github. Would you be willing to commit some of your code there? What version were you working against when you did the effort, mass update and your various other patches? Would be great to get your improvements merged into git for 1.0

________________________
Jordan Mendler
President & Chief Technology Officer, The Veloz Group
jor...@thevelozgroup.com | www.thevelozgroup.com

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse spelling and grammatical errors resulting from speech-to-text.

Jordan Mendler

Feb 25, 2013, 12:06:22 PM2/25/13
to flys...@googlegroups.com

Premek,

I just wanted to follow up here. We would love to get some of those improvements merged into the main git repository. Do you have any suggestions on the best way to do that? If there is someone on your end that would be willing to do that, I can give you commit access to git. Alternatively I can have one of my engineers work on it, but that may be a little difficult for them since they are not familiar with what changes you made in your code.

________________________
Jordan Mendler
President & Chief Technology Officer, The Veloz Group
jor...@thevelozgroup.com | www.thevelozgroup.com

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse spelling and grammatical errors resulting from speech-to-text.

Přemek Brada

Feb 25, 2013, 3:21:54 PM2/25/13
to flys...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jordan,

sorry, I probably missed that email from January. I would love to have something of our changes committed but not by myself (time + skill in the actual code reasons :) Will try now to find someone here to get involved; please ping me a week or so later if I don't post any news.

Premek

Jordan Mendler

Feb 25, 2013, 4:31:34 PM2/25/13
to flys...@googlegroups.com, Ao Zhang

Premek,

That sounds good. I can have Ao Zhang work with your guy in it, so keep us posted when you have someone on your end that could help