Missing tooltip

Francesco Giordano

Jan 30, 2018, 8:51:28 AM1/30/18
to flyspray
Hi there,

there's a missing tooltip: when you open a new task, you can see [[tooltipshorttasktitle]] as tooltip. I wonder if i can add the missing string in both the EN and IT translations... i'm asking because i don't know if you're OK with me modiying the EN file. I could do both and send a PR.
You can see where it's used by going to line 199 of newtask.tpl

Regards,
Francesco

peterdd

Jan 31, 2018, 12:45:13 PM1/31/18
to flyspray
Yes, you can do that pull request.

Also my wording for google recaptcha (for which you provided IT translation could be better/shorter I think.(english is not my native lang, as you might see ;-) )

At all:  So if you think an english translation could be better (better fits to current usage within Flypsray or shorter with same information), just do a pull request and it can be discussed.

I would like to see a more consistent way of the translation keywords. That lang file has grown over the years and sometimes I must search source to know where a translation keyword is used and if that translation is still ok or misleading. So people should get an idea for what a translation keyword is used.
For instance I would like to add more tooltips here and there at the title attribute of more formfields and labels, so while trying to keep form labels short so forms aren't looking too bloated a user can just hover over a field or label to get more information about without the need to look somewhere else like external documentation.
While a translator also should know in which context a translation keyword is used, knowing that a keyword is used for a tooltip lets the transloator know he that text can be more descriptive while a label for a form should be short in most cases so layout/wrapping issues are minimized.

Argh, too much blabla: I was just unsure if I should stick to a scheme like tooltipshorttasktitle or shorttasktitletooltip or even another naming scheme.

Francesco Giordano

Feb 1, 2018, 4:43:55 AM2/1/18
to flyspray
I can have a look at EN translation while I update the IT one... i'm no native speaker either but i don't have problems helping with EN too.
As for naming conventions... in my own code, I tend to use the "function" of the object as first part of the name, i.e.: tooltip*
WRT long tooltips instead of long labels, don't forget that we can have placeholders too... but that would require a bit of work on the templates.

Regards,
F.