glide ratio

trsonn

Dec 7, 2013, 6:45:07 AM12/7/13
to flysig...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I was playing a bit with python and some flysight data the last days, with the goal to input a flysight file into the software and to get out a distance in a certain altitude window.

Basically i want to check how my result would have been here.

Now i found some helpful resources online:
1. geopy and distance.py
2. the haversine formula
and 3. flajt

Now i did some thinking and tested various ideas to calculate the glide ratio in the competition altitudes.

With the haversine and vincenty formulas and with an average glide ratio of all the points in the competition video i am still just close (in the best case) to the result i get from paralog.

Do you guys maybe have an idea how paralog is doing these calculations?

Regards,

Tim

trsonn

Dec 7, 2013, 6:51:28 AM12/7/13
to flysig...@googlegroups.com
sorry forgot:

http://competitionws.appspot.com/upload

The dropzone from my recordings is 135m above msl and this is hardcoded until now

Michael Cooper

Dec 8, 2013, 1:06:19 PM12/8/13
to flysig...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tim—

I’m not sure what algorithm Paralog uses. However, there are some difficulties in calculating this kind of distance which you may not have thought of…

Perhaps the most obvious thing would be to calculate distance along the path between the start and end of the competition window. This would give you your “total” distance traveled. However, I think there is a major issue inherent in this calculation, described by the “coastline paradox”:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coastline_paradox

Essentially, there is no well-defined notion of “length” for the path between two points. Unfortunately, the total distance measured in this way depends sensitively on the where you choose to measure the individual positions. Our flight paths aren’t truly fractal, but they can have features which are small relative to the distance between consecutive points, so my feeling is that the coastline paradox applies. I suppose, as an experiment, that one could try calculating distance using various “granularities” to see if the distance converges to a single value.

Assuming there is no well-defined notion of path length, the best solution, I think, is to calculate the distance between the point where you entered the competition window and the point where you left it. This is the “straight-line” distance, and it is shorter than any “total” distance you might choose. This makes it the most conservative measurement of distance, which I think is a nice quality for competitions and records. Calculating glide ratio from the straight-line distance and the size of the competition window would again give you the most conservative measurement.

Hope this helps!

Michael

Tim Sonnenberg

Dec 8, 2013, 2:51:44 PM12/8/13
to flysig...@googlegroups.com
Coastline Paradox...Yeah, now if feel kind of stupid to not have
thought of this. I think if i find a cool way to get rid of points
that are "off" i know what to do...

Thanks a lot!

Tim