syslog, the messages field, with Elastic and Kibana

Tim Middleton

Jul 2, 2017, 6:02:55 PM7/2/17
to Fluentd Google Group
Hi Guys,

I have done hours of searching on this, tried numerous methods, I hope I'm just being dumb

So after a small amount of work once I got the firewall sending syslogs > fluentd > elastic > kibana working, I quickly realised that the data being presented to elastic needs to be better, specifically the syslog message field, as this has the interesting stuff

So I then spent some time learning and understanding a bit better the fluentd side of things.

I successfully wrote a regexp to handle inbound firewall syslog messages (well 99% of them, as some broke my regexp parser)

But when I tried to fix the last 1% and then especially when I added outbound rules, the subtle differences in the syslog message format, escaped my current skills

So

1. Am I right that I need to get the data batter formatted in fluentd, before it hits elastic/kibana
2. what is the best method to break out the syslog message into individual fields, all I need is a parser, that just works thought it, based on the delimiter... so far every on I have looked at either requires the regexp, or for me to in advance specify each field
3. can I write a regexp that finds say SRC= and lets me just return that value?

Sorry for what must be a dumb set of questions, as surely this is what everybody is wanting to do ?

Regards

;-)

Mr. Fiber

Jul 5, 2017, 3:18:37 AM7/5/17
to Fluentd Google Group

If your logs can be parsed by multiple regex pattern, https://github.com/repeatedly/fluent-plugin-multi-format-parser plugin may help.

> 3

regexp doesn't fit for conditional like matching.
if you need to parse log by complex condition, writing own parser is better for performance and maintenace.

Masahiro