fluentd Dockerfile for ppc64le

gawad...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2015, 12:19:27 AM8/25/15
to Fluentd Google Group
Hi All,

I have installed and tested fluentd on ppc64le architecture.

I have also created a Dockerfile for this for ubuntutu 15.04 and wanted to contribute it to the community.

Could anyone please help me in understanding on how to go about this?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Priya

Mr. Fiber

Aug 25, 2015, 1:39:29 AM8/25/15
to Fluentd Google Group

gawad...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2015, 2:27:43 AM8/25/15
to Fluentd Google Group
Thanks, Masahiro

Do you suggest that I should request for having the ppc64le dockerfile under the same repository?
Options could be to create an architecture specific folder that can contain the ppc64le Dockerfile. The base image can have a _ppc64le suffix.
Please let me know if there are any suggestions on this?

Thanks!
Priya

Meghali

Aug 25, 2015, 3:01:06 AM8/25/15
to Fluentd Google Group
Hi Priya,
Which version of fluentd have been considered here for the dockerfile? If it holds a specific version, may be then we might need to consider mentioning that as well while putting the dockerfile to the repo. If its not specific to a version and builds from top of the tree then we may ignore this.

-Meghali

gawad...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2015, 5:00:51 AM8/25/15
to Fluentd Google Group
Thanks, Meghali.
Currently, I am working with the top of the tree version. I can write dockerfiles for specific versions if that is required.

Mr. Fiber

Aug 25, 2015, 9:25:32 AM8/25/15
to Fluentd Google Group
Do you suggest that I should request for having the ppc64le dockerfile under the same repository?

I'm not sure because I'm not a docker expert.
So following popular way is better.

Gawade P

Aug 26, 2015, 2:27:57 AM8/26/15
to flu...@googlegroups.com
Ok. Sure and thanks for your response.
I am planning to raise a git issue at
https://github.com/fluent/fluentd-docker-image/issues for providing a
dockerfile for the latest stable release of fluentd for ppc64le so
that we can take it ahead from there.
> Google Groups "Fluentd Google Group" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/fluentd/J9_OtGi2h5Y/unsubscribe.

Jazz Wang

Aug 26, 2015, 12:32:32 PM8/26/15
to Fluentd Google Group
Hi Gawade,

I'm not a docker expert, too.

Here are some questions:
1. Are you running Docker on PowerLinux ? (PPC64EL is PowerPC CPU right ?)
2. Can you pull 'debian' docker image from docker hub and run its instance on PPC64EL HOST OS?

Docker use the Linux Kernel of HOST OS.
I think it requires a base debian image of PPC64EL to build a PPC64EL Dockerfile for fluentd.
( from libc6 and all the packages download from debian ppc64el repository )

BTW, do you know 'fluent-bit'?
https://github.com/fluent/fluent-bit
Maybe it's another option to run fluent-bit on PPC64EL.

- Jazz

Gawade P

Aug 27, 2015, 2:28:46 AM8/27/15
to flu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jazz,

Thanks for your response.
Please see my response below:
>>1. Are you running Docker on PowerLinux ? (PPC64EL is PowerPC CPU right ?)
Yes, that is right. We are running Docker om PowerLinux. PPC64EL is PowerPC CPU.

>>2. Can you pull 'debian' docker image from docker hub and run its instance on PPC64EL HOST OS?
Not right now, since it dos not have ppc64le base images. However, I
have heard that Canonical has plans to upload the ppc64le images to
dockerhub.

>>Docker use the Linux Kernel of HOST OS.
>>I think it requires a base debian image of PPC64EL to build a PPC64EL Dockerfile for fluentd.
>>( from libc6 and all the packages download from debian ppc64el repository )
Yes.

>>BTW, do you know 'fluent-bit'?
>>https://github.com/fluent/fluent-bit
>>Maybe it's another option to run fluent-bit on PPC64EL.
For my current requirements, fluent-bit is not needed. Fluend works
very good without issues on ppc64le. However, if there is anything I
can do to help with anything on fluent-bit, please let me know and I
will be more than happy to take it up.

Thanks!

Jazz Wang

Aug 28, 2015, 3:38:27 AM8/28/15
to Fluentd Google Group
Hi Gawade,

You're welcome.
I just found it interesting about the requirement of Fluentd Docker on PowerLinux.

I would suggest you to fork the github repo and create a branch about it.
Once there are ppc64le docker base image, you can file a pull request for merge into mainstream.

As for fluentd ppc64el package, I would suggest you to share a URL for others who need it.
It will be a great help to enrich the community.

Regards,
Jazz Wang

Gawade P

Aug 28, 2015, 9:14:49 AM8/28/15