Fullscreen

holm.h...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2017, 4:27:56 AM8/22/17
to fltk.general

Hello,
I am experimenting with the program "florence" as a "on screen keyboard". This works fine for most of the test-examples in fltk.
I have however a problem with the "fullscreen" test-example. Running the program in fullscreen will hide the OSK-program, even when it is set to be on top of all windows.

Any ideas how to fix this ?

Best regards
Håvard

Ian MacArthur

Aug 23, 2017, 2:15:33 PM8/23/17
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
No, not as such...

What platform are you on? I guess X11?

I wonder if it is interacting badly with the GL context that draws the image? Might be worth looking at.

TBH, I don’t really know how our X11 code manifests fullscreen behaviour; there may well be something odd going on in there!

I looked at florence once, ages back; didn’t really like it. Decided to write my own; it was worse. Turns out that OSK are hard to write well!

Greg Ercolano

Aug 23, 2017, 2:47:35 PM8/23/17
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
On 08/23/17 11:15, Ian MacArthur wrote:
> On Tue Aug 22 2017 09:27:56, holm.haavard wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I am experimenting with the program "florence" as a "on screen keyboard". This works fine for most of the test-examples in fltk.
>> I have however a problem with the "fullscreen" test-example. Running the program in fullscreen will hide the OSK-program, even when it is set to be on top of all windows.
>>
>> Any ideas how to fix this ?
>
> No, not as such...
>
> What platform are you on? I guess X11?
> I wonder if it is interacting badly with the GL context that draws
> the image? Might be worth looking at.

I think Holm's just having trouble with the window stacking behavior,
where the fullscreen test example is "over" everything else, such that
the florence OSK can't pop above it to be seen.

I don't know much about this subject, but I imagine the "fullscreen" test
program sets a mode to be "above all other windows", perhaps to the exclusion
of any other dialog oriented windows.

I imagine this to be the case for e.g. movie players, where they want full
screen, and want to eclipse even system dialogs, so that e.g. Microsoft
and Apple don't get blamed when some stupid dialogs pop up during a
movie projection in front of a large audience. (Bad public relations, lol)

> I looked at florence once, ages back; didn’t really like it. Decided to write
> my own; it was worse. Turns out that OSK are hard to write well!

Hmm, curious what makes it hard?

Besides supporting things like Unicode, I can imagine it maybe gets tricky
handling things like momentary alt/shift/ctrl, as the OSK needs to be operable
from a mouse pointer, which is like supporting a keyboard that only allows one
finger, i.e. one can't do "chords" like Ctrl-C or Alt-S.

I imagine some touch screens can handle "chords", but I guess one has to support
both somehow.

Curious if there are other issues?