Bill Spitzak - 2018 Academy Award

Greg Ercolano

Jan 4, 2018, 5:46:43 PM1/4/18
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations to Bill Spitzak (our founder of FLTK) for winning
an Academy Award in 2018 for Nuke, the compositing software for which
FLTK was originally designed and used.

The Sci-Tech awards are granted to individuals who "have significantly
contributed to the ongoing evolution of motion pictures, and their
efforts continue to empower the creativity of our industry.”

http://deadline.com/2018/01/sci-tech-oscars-2018-winners-list-1202235579/

"To Bill Spitzak and Jonathan Egstad for the visionary design, development
and stewardship of the Nuke compositing system.

"Built for production at Digital Domain, Nuke has become a ubiquitous and
flexible tool used across the motion picture industry, enabling novel and
sophisticated workflows at an unprecedented scale."

I look forward to seeing Bill in a penguin suit and a rose, and some
gnarly "deer in headlights" paparazzi photos!

According to this page:
https://www.shootonline.com/calendar-content/sci-tech-awards-academys-scientific-and-technical-awards-0

..the Sci-Tech award show will be on Sat Feb 10, 2018, and is a few
weeks before the larger show. The full Sci-Tech videos are usually
posted on the academy website at http://www.oscars.org/

Snippets from this ceremony are usually shown in the "big" awards
show a month or so later.

imm

Jan 4, 2018, 6:29:06 PM1/4/18
to general fltk
Congratulations to Bill! Great stuff.

Did he not win one for Nuke before? If not, it must be well overdue...

I wonder who else round here might have won one of those?   :-)

Greg Ercolano

Jan 4, 2018, 7:25:42 PM1/4/18
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
On 01/04/18 15:29, imm wrote:
> Congratulations to Bill! Great stuff.
> Did he not win one for Nuke before? If not, it must be well overdue...

In 2002 he won the Technical Achievement award.
In 2018 he won the Scientific and Engineering award.
The other one you can win is the Award of Merit.

If you get all three, I think you join the Illuminati or something.

> I wonder who else round here might have won one of those? :-)

That was certainly a trip..!
Kissing Merissa Tomei was the best part, gotta say.

Mark Olesen

Jan 5, 2018, 8:43:37 PM1/5/18
to fltk.general
That is awesome. Congrats!

imm

Jan 6, 2018, 7:31:20 AM1/6/18
to general fltk

On 5 January 2018 at 00:25, Greg Ercolano wrote:

> > I wonder who else round here might have won one of those?   :-)
>
>         That was certainly a trip..!
>         Kissing Merissa Tomei was the best part, gotta say.

Yeah: I might forgo the plaque for that...
​  ;-)​

(
​My wife doesn't read this list, does she?)

Albrecht Schlosser

Jan 6, 2018, 11:06:24 AM1/6/18
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
On 04.01.2018 23:46 Greg Ercolano wrote:
> Congratulations to Bill Spitzak (our founder of FLTK) for winning
> an Academy Award in 2018 for Nuke, the compositing software for which
> FLTK was originally designed and used.
>
> The Sci-Tech awards are granted to individuals who "have significantly
> contributed to the ongoing evolution of motion pictures, and their
> efforts continue to empower the creativity of our industry.”

Congratulations from me as well.

And, BTW, a big "Thank You" (@BILL) for developing FLTK in the first
place. This can't be said often enough.

Nicholas Shea

Jan 10, 2018, 7:59:22 AM1/10/18
to fltk.general
Yes, I'll second that. Congratulations Mr. Spitzak and thank you for FLTK.