RE: [fltk.general] 10-bit color depth for OS X [General Use]

MacArthur, Ian (Leonardo, UK)

Nov 14, 2016, 6:07:04 AM11/14/16
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
> On 11/11/16 14:52, Vimal Parikh wrote:
> > The new iMac's display (with El Capitan and Sierra OS X) can support
> 30-bit color depth (10-bits per component).
> > Does FLTK have any option to enable 10-bit color support for Macs?
>

> Perhaps if you use an Fl_Gl_Window, such as if you want
> to show 10 bit images, you can then use opengl's glDrawPixels().
>
> But as far as FLTK's widget drawing code, no, I think that's
> all 8bit. That'd be hard to get away from, as we're using 32 bit
> longs for RGBA encoding.
>
> But I'd think you'd only really need 10bit for images,
> and drawing images is often best done with opengl.
>
> So assuming opengl supports it, by extension, FLTK's Fl_Gl_Window
> can do it too, assuming the proper opengl calls to enable it are
> used.

Yes, making fltk's internal paths handle 10-bits per colour may not be trivial, and possibly not all that portable. Getting at this via GL may be best, if it is really needed - most folks can't tell the difference on a standard display, so for the things fltk often does, it likely doesn't matter...

The Cinepaint folks, back in the day, had a patched version of fltk that supported high bit depths that they were using for painting high-def video frames and such.

No idea whatever happened to all of that, though...

Leonardo MW Ltd
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14 3EL
A company registered in England & Wales. Company no. 02426132