Not all of the demo app apps are working, after configuring and making FLTK library (Windows 10, MinGW, gcc/g++)

Mich Paw

Apr 10, 2017, 11:45:26 AM4/10/17
to fltk.general
Hello,

I tried to configure and make FLTK, and run the test/demo app, but table apps, did not run. Please help. I'm using Windows 10, minGW, and gcc/g++. Here's log:

mpaw@mpaw-win7 /c/MinGW/fltk-1.3.4-1
$
./configure --enable-threads --enable-localjpeg --enable-localzlib --enable-localpng
checking build system type
... i686-pc-mingw32
checking host system type
... i686-pc-mingw32
checking
for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler works
... yes
checking
for C compiler default output file name... a.exe
checking
for suffix of executables... .exe
checking whether we are cross compiling
... no
checking
for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are
using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts
-g... yes
checking
for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking
for g++... g++
checking whether we are
using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
checking whether g
++ accepts -g... yes
checking
for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking
for nroff... no
checking
for doxygen... no
checking
for ranlib... ranlib
checking
for ar... /mingw/bin/ar
checking
for windres... /mingw/bin/windres
checking how to run the C preprocessor
... gcc -E
checking
for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep
checking
for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking
for ANSI C header files... yes
checking
for sys/types.h... yes
checking
for sys/stat.h... yes
checking
for stdlib.h... yes
checking
for string.h... yes
checking
for memory.h... yes
checking
for strings.h... yes
checking
for inttypes.h... yes
checking
for stdint.h... yes
checking
for unistd.h... yes
checking size of
short... 2
checking size of
int... 4
checking size of
long... 4
checking whether
byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking whether the compiler recognizes
bool as a built-in type... yes
checking
for dirent.h that defines DIR... yes
checking
for library containing opendir... none required
checking sys
/select.h usability... no
checking sys
/select.h presence... no
checking
for sys/select.h... no
checking sys
/stdtypes.h usability... no
checking sys
/stdtypes.h presence... no
checking
for sys/stdtypes.h... no
checking whether we have the POSIX compatible scandir
() prototype... no
checking
for scandir... no
checking
for vsnprintf... yes
checking
for snprintf... yes
checking
for strings.h... (cached) yes
checking
for strcasecmp... yes
checking
for strlcat... no
checking
for strlcpy... no
checking locale
.h usability... yes
checking locale
.h presence... yes
checking
for locale.h... yes
checking
for localeconv... yes
checking
for library containing pow... none required
checking
for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
checking
for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... unknown
checking
for _LARGE_FILES value needed for large files... unknown
checking
for long long int... yes
checking
for library containing dlsym... none required
checking dlfcn
.h usability... yes
checking dlfcn
.h presence... yes
checking
for dlfcn.h... yes
checking GL
/gl.h usability... yes
checking GL
/gl.h presence... yes
checking
for GL/gl.h... yes
checking GL
/glu.h usability... yes
checking GL
/glu.h presence... yes
checking
for GL/glu.h... yes
checking
if GCC supports -fno-exceptions... yes
checking
if GCC supports -fno-strict-aliasing... yes
checking
if ld supports -no-undefined... yes
checking
if ld supports -Bsymbolic-functions... yes
checking
if toolchain supports sections... yes

Configuration Summary

Directories: prefix=/usr/local
                 bindir
=${exec_prefix}/bin
                 datadir
=${datarootdir}
                 datarootdir
=${prefix}/share
                 exec_prefix
=${prefix}
                 includedir
=${prefix}/include
                 libdir
=${exec_prefix}/lib
                 mandir
=${datarootdir}/man

MSys docpath=C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/local/share/doc/fltk

Graphics: GDI
Image Libraries: JPEG=Builtin
                 PNG
=Builtin
                 ZLIB
=Builtin

Large Files: YES

OpenGL: YES

Threads: YES
configure
: creating ./config.status
config
.status: creating makeinclude
config
.status: creating fltk.list
config
.status: creating fltk-config
config
.status: creating fltk.spec
config
.status: creating FL/Makefile
config
.status: creating config.h
config
.status: config.h is unchanged
config
.status: creating FL/abi-version.h
config
.status: FL/abi-version.h is unchanged

mpaw@mpaw
-win7 /c/MinGW/fltk-1.3.4-1
$ make
=== making jpeg ===
Compiling jaricom.c...
Compiling jcapimin.c...
Compiling jcapistd.c...
Compiling jcarith.c...
Compiling jccoefct.c...
Compiling jccolor.c...
Compiling jcdctmgr.c...
Compiling jchuff.c...
Compiling jcinit.c...
Compiling jcmainct.c...
Compiling jcmarker.c...
Compiling jcmaster.c...
Compiling jcomapi.c...
Compiling jcparam.c...
Compiling jcprepct.c...
Compiling jcsample.c...
Compiling jctrans.c...
Compiling jdapimin.c...
Compiling jdapistd.c...
Compiling jdarith.c...
Compiling jdatadst.c...
Compiling jdatasrc.c...
Compiling jdcoefct.c...
Compiling jdcolor.c...
Compiling jddctmgr.c...
Compiling jdhuff.c...
Compiling jdinput.c...
Compiling jdmainct.c...
Compiling jdmarker.c...
Compiling jdmaster.c...
Compiling jdmerge.c...
Compiling jdpostct.c...
Compiling jdsample.c...
Compiling jdtrans.c...
Compiling jerror.c...
Compiling jfdctflt.c...
Compiling jfdctfst.c...
Compiling jfdctint.c...
Compiling jidctflt.c...
Compiling jidctfst.c...
Compiling jidctint.c...
Compiling jmemmgr.c...
Compiling jmemnobs.c...
Compiling jquant1.c...
Compiling jquant2.c...
Compiling jutils.c...
Archiving ../lib/libfltk_jpeg.a...
=== making zlib ===
Compiling adler32.c...
Compiling compress.c...
Compiling crc32.c...
Compiling uncompr.c...
Compiling deflate.c...
Compiling trees.c...
Compiling zutil.c...
Compiling inflate.c...
Compiling inftrees.c...
Compiling inffast.c...
Compiling gzclose.c...
Compiling gzlib.c...
Compiling gzread.c...
Compiling gzwrite.c...
Compiling infback.c...
Archiving ../lib/libfltk_z.a...
=== making png ===
Compiling png.c...
Compiling pngset.c...
Compiling pngget.c...
Compiling pngrutil.c...
Compiling pngtrans.c...
Compiling pngwutil.c...
Compiling pngread.c...
Compiling pngrio.c...
Compiling pngwio.c...
Compiling pngwrite.c...
Compiling pngrtran.c...
Compiling pngwtran.c...
Compiling pngmem.c...
Compiling pngerror.c...
Compiling pngpread.c...
Archiving ../lib/libfltk_png.a...
=== making src ===
=== making fluid ===
=== making test ===
Linking sudoku.exe...
gcc
: error: sudoku.rc: No such file or directory
gcc
: warning: '-x c' after last input file has no effect
gcc
: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated
.
:\MinGW\bin\windres.exe: preprocessing failed.
make
[1]: *** [sudoku.exe] Error 1
make
: *** [all] Error 1

mpaw@mpaw
-win7 /c/MinGW/fltk-1.3.4-1
$ test
/demo
Thank you
 Thank you.

Albrecht Schlosser

Apr 10, 2017, 12:01:51 PM4/10/17
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
On 10.04.2017 13:47 Mich Paw wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tried to configure and make FLTK, and run the test/demo app, but
> *table* apps, did not run. Please help. I'm using Windows 10, minGW, and
> gcc/g++. Here's log:
>
> |mpaw@mpaw-win7 /c/MinGW/fltk-1.3.4-1
> $ ./configure --enable-threads --enable-localjpeg --enable-localzlib
> --enable-localpng

Side note: None of these configure options is necessary under Windows
with MinGW. You can just use `make'.

> checking build system type...i686-pc-mingw32
> checking host system type...i686-pc-mingw32
> config.status:creating FL/abi-version.h
> config.status:FL/abi-version.h is unchanged

Did you run configure + make previously?

> mpaw@mpaw-win7 /c/MinGW/fltk-1.3.4-1
> $ make
> ===making jpeg ===
> ===making src ===

src and ...

> ===making fluid ===

fluid should be built here...

> ===making test ===
> Linkingsudoku.exe...
> gcc:error:sudoku.rc:Nosuch file ordirectory
> gcc:warning:'-x c'after lastinput file has noeffect
> gcc:fatal error:noinput files
> compilation terminated.
> C:\MinGW\bin\windres.exe:preprocessing failed.
> make[1]:***[sudoku.exe]Error1
> make:***[all]Error1

This all looks like configure/make had been executed before, maybe with
different configure options or a different compiler.

Please run configure + make again with:

make distclean
make

Note: this will run configure automatically with default options.

If you still get error messages, please post the new error messages and
your version(s) of gcc, g++, autoconf, and make:

make --version
autoconf --version
gcc --version
g++ --version

Greg Ercolano

Apr 11, 2017, 12:24:39 PM4/11/17
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
In addition to the responses, if you're just trying to run the
table demo and it hasn't built because sudoku somehow failed,
try just cd'ing into the test directory and running:

make table

..and if it builds properly, you can run table.exe.

On 04/10/17 04:47, Mich Paw wrote:
> === making src ===
> === making fluid ===
> === making test ===
> Linking sudoku.exe...
> gcc: error: sudoku.rc: No such file or directory
> gcc: warning: '-x c' after last input file has no effect
> gcc: fatal error: no input files

That is strange, as sudoku.rc should be part of the fltk tar/zip file,
so it being gone means somehow it was deleted..?

Try extracting just the test/sudoku.rc file from the tar/zip file
and re-run make, to see if it gets past the sudoku error and builds
everything else.

Mich Paw

Apr 13, 2017, 6:02:06 AM4/13/17
to fltk.general, Albrech...@online.de
Hello,

I executed the commands
./configure --enable-threads --enable-localjpeg --enable-localzlib --enable-
localpng

make distclean
make

And I had the same error with sudoku.rc

Here are versions:
$ make --version
GNU Make 3.81
Copyright (C) 2006  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i686-pc-msys

mpaw@mpaw-win7 /c/MinGw/fltk-1.3.3
$ gcc --version
gcc.exe (GCC) 5.3.0
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

mpaw@mpaw-win7 /c/MinGw/fltk-1.3.3
$ g++ --version
g++.exe (GCC) 5.3.0
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

mpaw@mpaw-win7 /c/MinGw/fltk-1.3.3
$ autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.68
License GPLv3+/Autoconf: GNU GPL version 3 or later
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>, <http://gnu.org/licenses/exceptions.html>

Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

Albrecht Schlosser

Apr 13, 2017, 6:28:22 AM4/13/17
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
On 13.04.2017 12:01 schieb Mich Paw wrote:

> I executed the commands
> |
> ./configure --enable-threads --enable-localjpeg --enable-localzlib
> --enable-localpng
>
> make distclean
> make
> |

> And I had the same error with sudoku.rc

That's really strange. I tried to compile after deleting test/sudoku.rc
and I get:

make[1]: *** No rule to make target `sudoku.rc', needed by `sudoku.exe'.
make[1]: Target `all' not remade because of errors.
make: *** [all] Error 1

which is a different error message than you posted and plausible.

> Here are versions:
> |
> $ make --version
> GNU Make3.81
> $ gcc --version
> gcc.exe (GCC)5.3.0
> $ g++--version
> g++.exe (GCC)5.3.0
> $ autoconf --version
> autoconf (GNU Autoconf)2.68

Same here, so this looks fine.

> W dniu poniedziałek, 10 kwietnia 2017 18:01:51 UTC+2 użytkownik Albrecht
> Schlosser napisał:
>
> On 10.04.2017 13:47 Mich Paw wrote:

Please don't top-post. Etiquette in this group is to interleave
citations and your text (like I'm doing here). Thanks.

From your previous posting:

> > ===making test ===
> > Linkingsudoku.exe...
> > gcc:error:sudoku.rc:Nosuch file ordirectory
> > gcc:warning:'-x c'after lastinput file has noeffect
> > gcc:fatal error:noinput files
> > compilation terminated.

This error message is strange: sudoku.rc should be processed by windres,
not by gcc. And I don't know where '-x c' would come from.

> > C:\MinGW\bin\windres.exe:preprocessing failed.
> > make[1]:***[sudoku.exe]Error1
> > make:***[all]Error1

This error message looks more plausible, but why does it follow the
message above ? I don't know. It should precede the first message since
windres should be executed first. Strange. Sorry, can't help with this.

Hint: try 'make -k' to see if everything else can be compiled and linked.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Mich Paw

Apr 13, 2017, 6:56:38 AM4/13/17
to fltk.general
Here's make -k:

$ make -k
=== making jpeg ===
=== making zlib ===
=== making png ===

=== making src ===
=== making fluid ===
=== making test ===
Linking sudoku.exe...
gcc
: error: sudoku.rc: No such file or directory
gcc
: warning: '-x c' after last input file has no effect
gcc
: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated
.
:\MinGW\bin\windres.exe: preprocessing failed.
make
[1]: *** [sudoku.exe] Error 1
Compiling symbols.cxx...
Linking symbols.exe...
Compiling table.cxx...
Linking table.exe...
Generating tabs.cxx and header from tabs.fl...
Compiling tabs.cxx...
Linking tabs.exe...
Compiling threads.cxx...
Linking threads.exe...
Compiling tile.cxx...
Linking tile.exe...
Compiling tiled_image.cxx...
Linking tiled_image.exe...
Generating tree.cxx and header from tree.fl...
Compiling tree.cxx...
Linking tree.exe...
Compiling twowin.cxx...
Linking twowin.exe...
Generating valuators.cxx and header from valuators.fl...
Compiling valuators.cxx...
Linking valuators.exe...
Compiling utf8.cxx...
Linking utf8.exe...
Compiling windowfocus.cxx...
Linking windowfocus.exe...
Compiling cube.cxx...
Linking cube.exe...
Generating CubeViewUI.h and header from CubeViewUI.fl...
Compiling CubeMain.cxx...
Compiling CubeView.cxx...
Compiling CubeViewUI.cxx...
Linking CubeView.exe...
Compiling fractals.cxx...
Compiling fracviewer.cxx...
Linking fractals.exe...
Compiling fullscreen.cxx...
Linking fullscreen.exe...
Compiling gl_overlay.cxx...
Linking gl_overlay.exe...
Compiling glpuzzle.cxx...
Linking glpuzzle.exe...
Compiling shape.cxx...
Linking shape.exe...
make
[1]: Target `all' not remade because of errors.

Albrecht Schlosser

Apr 13, 2017, 7:17:48 AM4/13/17
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
On 13.04.2017 12:56 Mich Paw wrote:
> Here's make -k:
>

> $ make -k
> ===making jpeg ===
> ===making zlib ===
> ===making png ===
> ===making src ===
> ===making fluid ===
> ===making test ===
> Linkingsudoku.exe...
> gcc:error:sudoku.rc:Nosuch file ordirectory
> gcc:warning:'-x c'after lastinput file has noeffect
> gcc:fatal error:noinput files
> compilation terminated.
> C:\MinGW\bin\windres.exe:preprocessing failed.
> make[1]:***[sudoku.exe]Error1
> Compilingsymbols.cxx...
> Linkingsymbols.exe...
> Compilingshape.cxx...
> Linkingshape.exe...
> make[1]:Target`all' not remade because of errors.
> make: *** [all] Error 1

Okay, everything except sudoku seems to work.

Please run these commands in the given order in the FLTK root directory
and post their output:

grep windres makeinclude
cd test
make -k
make -n

The first command should show:

$ grep windres makeinclude
RC = /mingw/bin/windres

If it displays anything else this is likely the cause of the error.

The last command should display something similar to this:

$ make -n
echo Linking sudoku.exe...
/mingw/bin/windres sudoku.rc sudokures.o

[The line above shows the execution of windres.]

g++ -O3 -Wall -Wunused -Wno-format-y2k -fno-exceptions
-fno-strict-aliasing -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections
-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -mwindows -DWIN32
-DUSE_OPENGL32 -O3 -Wall -Wunused -Wno-format-y2k -fno-exceptions
-fno-strict-aliasing -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mwindows
sudoku.o sudokures.o -o sudoku.exe -lwinmm ../lib/libfltk_images.a
../lib/libfltk.a -L../lib -lfltk_png -lfltk_z -lfltk_jpeg -lole32
-luuid -lcomctl32

The wrapped line above would be the execution of the linker step.

Please post (copy and paste) the exact output on your system.

Mich Paw

Albrecht Schlosser

Apr 13, 2017, 7:36:03 AM4/13/17
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, that looks all fine.

What does

$ file /mingw/bin/windres

display?

Mich Paw

Apr 13, 2017, 9:35:20 AM4/13/17
to fltk.general, Albrech...@online.de
What do you mean?

When I run /mingw/bin/windres.exe nothing shows. I have to stop it by typing CTRL + Z, and ENTER.