RE: [fltk.general] FLTK installation process on Windows is absolutely broken [General Use]

MacArthur, Ian (Leonardo, UK)

Jul 27, 2016, 4:23:43 AM7/27/16
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com

> > Hi. I am trying to follow the installation instructions for
> installing
> > FLTK on Windows 10: http://www.fltk.org/articles.php?L598+I100+T+P1+Q
>
> Hi Felix, welcome to the FLTK community. I'm sorry that you had so much
> trouble, but there are certainly ways to install FLTK on Windows 10.
> Unfortunately I don't have a Windows 10 system at hand right now, but I
> /believe/ that it /should/ work.

It does work - that old laptop I mentioned the other day, when I was refurbing it I cleaned it out "upgraded" it to Win10, then set about re-installing all my stock tools.

The fltk svn for 1.3.x I then build using both the Community VS tools, and Msys/mingw32.

Both worked perfectly, "straight out of the box."

I also built the porting branch, but using CMake rather than autoconf, and again both build chains worked.

> > I have done the following:
> >
> > * I installed MSYS2 64 bit

Careful here; the 64 bit mingw fork I have found to be something of a "work in progress" and it has let me down in the past, it doesn't seem to be anywhere near as robust as the mingw32 toolchain.

I'd advocate using the mingw32 tools in the first instance, since they are more stable and reliable, and once you are comfortable with how it all works, then you can venture out into the more "bleeding edge" stuff!

Or (and I can't really believe I'm suggesting this!) try the MS Community Edition VS tools, which are "free" (for certain values of "free" at any rate) and do seem to work well. And will build 64-bit binaries (which mingw32 mostly will not.)

Selex ES Ltd
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14 3EL
A company registered in England & Wales. Company no. 02426132