RE: [fltk.general] FLTK, Windows 10 touchscreens [General Use]

MacArthur, Ian (Leonardo, UK)

Aug 24, 2016, 5:03:00 AM8/24/16
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
> Some users of my program are using Windows 10 machines with
> touchscreens. My program has many windows floating around. When they
> interact with some of these, they have a tendency to blow up in size,
> filling or extending beyond the screen size.

> Has anyone seen this sort of behavior? I'm currently using r10934 (Nov
> 27, 2015).

Hi Rob,

Well, a couple of things to say, but probably none of them very relevant, I fear...

My "headline item" though would be that I don't believe this is a fltk characteristic, insofar as we do not consciously do anything to make that happen.
However given the arcane nature of some MS API's, it may be that there is some "touch first" behaviour that MS enable by default on tablets we ought to be inhibiting?

First off, about the behaviour you are describing; is it that the windows are being maximized, or is it that they are being "zoomed"?

I was using a (non-Apple) tablet a few weeks back (though can not recall if it was MS or Android) and it had this extraordinarily annoying "tap-to-zoom" feature, such that if you tapped a thing in just the "wrong way" it didn’t act as a tap but did some sort of weird screen-zoom feature. It was a large screen, and this behaviour was entirely spurious; my eyesight isn't *that* bad!
My (Android) phone does something very similar, and I guess it makes more sense in that context (and appears to be much less trigger happy!) so maybe it's something like that, because the OS thinks the touchscreen device must be a small display or something?

Second; maximizing a window should not extend beyond the screen edges AFAIK, so that does some very odd indeed.

Thirdly (and this is banging a drum I've played before) touch-driven apps are a much different animal to a mouse/pointing device app, and if the app is *intended* to be touch-first then the app itself probably ought to be restructured to be more "kiosk" like with all the functionality in a unified window; touch devices (and touch interaction generally) does not work will with multiple window interfaces and many of the widgets and behaviours that we are accustomed too are very poor designs for a touch-based UI.

Selex ES Ltd
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14 3EL
A company registered in England & Wales. Company no. 02426132