Mandelbox viewer

Greg Ercolano

Aug 24, 2016, 2:13:33 AM8/24/16
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
I don't know how many of you are familiar with the Mandelbox algorithm,
but it's pretty amazing, basically a level up from the old mandelbrot set
with very rich imagery. Some example movies of 3D versions of these:

https://youtu.be/Yb5MRbgNKSk?t=55
https://vimeo.com/13886600
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP_2Zxr3CQM
https://vimeo.com/18278190

Found some time today to make a quick FLTK app that lets one browse the
set in 2D.

I was impressed with the immediate results, so I just slapped some sliders
on it to play around with exploring the variations.

Very similar to browsing a mandelbrot fractal; you can zoom, pan, and change
the max iterations. Also has a "scale" function that radically changes the shapes.

I didn't have time to do a full on intuitive UI, I just used sliders for now.
Still, pretty fun to play with, and very simple code:

http://seriss.com/people/erco/fltk/#Mandelbox

Feel free to take and modify, optimize (GPU?) and improve the UI.
I should probably also switch the code to using doubles instead of floats,
as it's easy to hit the limits of floats with this kind of thing.