RE: [fltk.general] Re: static linking [General Use]

MacArthur, Ian (Leonardo, UK)

Jul 27, 2016, 10:20:47 AM7/27/16
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
> Hello again,

> problem solved. I removed all system-installed glut/fltk libraries.
> Compiling to fltk's libraries works fine.

I wonder if that is too extreme a solution?

It looked, to me at least, as if it might be resolved by fiddling about with the link order, and making sure the linker paths were "sensible".

Did you have fltk installed, by the way? It looked like you did, but for a static build you might be better linking against a fltk build tree "locally" rather than an installed library.

> Is it a bit worrying that there are differences in these definitions by
> these two libraries ?

Well, it shouldn't really be pulling in both, I suspect - the fltk libraries implement a reasonably complete "emulation" of glut, for (the great many) systems that don't actually have glut these days, so it is maybe not necessary to be referencing/linking both the fltk lib and the system lib anyway?

And, whilst fltk implements / emulates the glut API, I don't think we ever imagined it was ABI compatible with a "real" glut implementation, so I don't think we'd be too surprised about that difference.
(My limited experience suggests that glut implementations are seldom ABI compatible, so mixing and matching is a Bad Thing and leads to intractable bugs!)

Selex ES Ltd
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14 3EL
A company registered in England & Wales. Company no. 02426132