FLTK on QNX

Umamahesh yelchuru venkata

Jul 14, 2015, 4:24:35 PM7/14/15
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I am working on QNX, has anyone ported FLTK on top of QNX. Is any package available and like to know procedure to cross compile it.

Ian MacArthur

Jul 14, 2015, 4:39:53 PM7/14/15
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
On Tue Jul 14 2015 08:10:46, Umamahesh yelchuru venkata wrote:
> Hi,
> I am working on QNX, has anyone ported FLTK on top of QNX. Is any package available and like to know procedure to cross compile it.

I am not aware of any QNX port.

It’s been a very long time (must be over a decade) since I last used QNX, and I can’t remember all that much (or indeed, anything) about it.

Some background... I used to use a port of fltk I did for VxWorks 5.5, and making that port was straightforward, as a lot of functionality that VxWorks provides is very “posix like”; albeit not strictly posix compliant, it is similar enough that the “unix” port of fltk can be tweaked to work on VxWorks with minimal changes.

That port was made much easier because the VxWorks platform I was using also provided a graphical system based on XFree86, so looked pretty much like a stock X11 server.

So, anyway: If QNX provides an API that looks fairly posix like (I think it does, but I really do not remember) and has a graphical system that looks like X11, then porting fltk to it may be pretty easy...

But, I seem to recall the graphical system is *not* like X11, so I fear that there would be a lot of rework to get fltk to run on it. You’d need to create implementations of the Fl_Device_* stuff to draw using the QNX API’s, and tie in the font system and so forth.

It’s probably only a very small portion of the fltk files you’d need to change, but the actual changes would be quite involved and require a good working knowledge of QNX to implement, and I doubt there’s anyone here who can help with the QNX aspects, so it may be quite tricky...

Of course, if your QNX platform has a usable X11 interface, then there’s a good chance that getting fltk up would pretty much Just Work and it would be “easy"...

Well, sometimes you get lucky...