FLTK, Windows 10 touchscreens

Rob McDonald

Aug 24, 2016, 12:09:34 AM8/24/16
to fltk.general
All,

Some users of my program are using Windows 10 machines with touchscreens.  My program has many windows floating around.  When they interact with some of these, they have a tendency to blow up in size, filling or extending beyond the screen size.

Has anyone seen this sort of behavior?  I'm currently using r10934 (Nov 27, 2015).

Thanks,

Rob

Brian Tilley

Aug 24, 2016, 1:14:16 AM8/24/16
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
Since the introduction of windows 7, windows do have the habit of automatically enlarging to full screen if moved so that the top of the window both touches the top of the display and extends offscreen to the left or right.
But I've never seen them extend beyond the screen size.
I suspect there is some way of disabling this effect, but I have no idea where to find it. In addition, it's bound to be different on win7 and win10.

Brian

Greg Ercolano

Aug 24, 2016, 1:23:54 AM8/24/16
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
On 08/23/16 21:09, Rob McDonald wrote:
> All,
>
> Some users of my program are using Windows 10 machines with touchscreens.
> My program has many windows floating around. When they interact with some
> of these, they have a tendency to blow up in size, filling or extending
> beyond the screen size.

Can you be more specific about the steps to cause?

> Has anyone seen this sort of behavior? I'm currently using r10934 (Nov 27, 2015).

I don't use windows much, but it does sound like that silly default
Microsoft behavior where when a window's title bar is moved to touch
the top of the screen, the window automatically resizes to the max size.

That's something I almost never want, and drives me crazy when it happens.

Sizing larger than the screen I'm not familiar with, just the
full screen behavior.

I imagine you can constrain resizing beyond the screen size; have you
tried messing around with either Fl_Window::size_range() or your
window's resize() method to constrain the window size to not be
larger than the size you want?

Rob McDonald

Aug 27, 2016, 10:57:03 PM8/27/16
to fltk.general, erco_...@seriss.com
I haven't tried anything on this -- and I don't have access to a machine that can duplicate this problem right now.

We had a user's meeting for my program with about 85 people in attendance -- as usual, someone had problems that nobody had ever seen before.

I was mostly fishing to see if anyone had a clue.  I'll see if I can find a way to replicate this.

Rob

Ian MacArthur

Aug 28, 2016, 4:20:40 PM8/28/16
to fltkg...@googlegroups.com
On Sun Aug 28 2016 03:57:03, Rob McDonald wrote:
> I haven't tried anything on this -- and I don't have access to a machine that can duplicate this problem right now.
>
> We had a user's meeting for my program with about 85 people in attendance -- as usual, someone had problems that nobody had ever seen before.

Yeah, I hear that...

> I was mostly fishing to see if anyone had a clue. I'll see if I can find a way to replicate this.

I still think (based on no evidence whatsoever) it’s some sort of aberrant tap-to-zoom behaviour, especially regarding the report that it scales the window bigger than the desktop, which is not “normal” maximise behaviour at all.

Be interesting to know whether the user that reports the issue has any accessibility features enabled, for example, that might come into play in that regard.