Flowhub, nodejs, JSFBP and DrawFBP

David Ryman

Sep 30, 2016, 1:31:01 PM9/30/16
to Flow Based Programming
some Newbie questions/stumblings.

Flowhub.
To run a graph on a local nodejs runtime, I have to start the runtime
node_modules/.bin/noflo-nodejs --graph graphs/main.json
which works.
If I then open a different graph, I have to reselect the runtime before it will work.

I am spending a lot of time getting nowhere, so figured it might be quicker to post.

I guess my questions are, how can I check the link between Flowhub and the runtime?
Is this intentional behavior?

The connection between Flowhub and Github is not stable. Sometimes I see github reps, sometimes I see nothing, and sometimes I am unauthorized Go Home.
On I see nothing on github. I must have missed a step somewhere, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Onward to JS components then.
David

Paul Morrison

Oct 3, 2016, 11:25:44 AM10/3/16
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com, Jon Nordby, HENRI BERGIUS
Hi David,

Saw your post, and unfortunately I cannot help with your specific questions.  :-(

However, I note that you have included DrawFBP and JSFBP in the title:

- JSFBP is definitely on the "classical" FBP side of the house (as opposed to FlowHub), and I can probably help you there.

- DrawFBP is agnostic, so should be able to work with either flavour of FBP.  It is integrated (fairly) seamlessly with JavaFBP, as it is written in Java, but it can generate networks for other FBP dialects - currently JavaFBP, C#FBP and JSON (for NoFlo).  I plan to add JSFBP in the near future.

I believe Jon Nordby has been able to integrate JavaFBP with NoFlo - see https://github.com/noflo/noflo-runtime , but I don't know where that stands.

Perhaps Jon or Henri could comment...?

Regards,

Paul M.

David Ryman

Oct 3, 2016, 1:44:17 PM10/3/16
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul.
That is kinda funny, you writing that you could not assist and then suggest the nolfo runtime. I think that may point me in a right direction. It is like the blind leading the blind, which is both a literal and figurative real world problem. Not unlike what we are doing here, the blind being components.

JSFBP integration is certainly something that would help me, and might be (one of) my missing link. If I can help bring the near future nearer I will.

I am heading in several directions, the grid - flowhub - nodesjs, and FBP - JSFBP(?) - IoT.

David

Henri Bergius

Oct 3, 2016, 4:16:50 PM10/3/16
to Paul Morrison, flow-based-...@googlegroups.com, Jon Nordby
Hi,

On Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 17:25 Paul Morrison, <jpau...@gmail.com> wrote:
- JSFBP is definitely on the "classical" FBP side of the house (as opposed to FlowHub), and I can probably help you there.

Actually, Flowhub is not classical or reactive. Or even an FBP runtime at all. Instead, it is an IDE for Flow-Based Programming that works across different languages and runtimes, both classical and reactive (assuming that they implement the FBP Protocol spec).

In that sense it is more like DrawFBP, allowing you to draw and manage FBP graphs for pretty much any flow-based environment.

However, thanks to the "live" protocol connection, it goes a bit further, allowing you to see what is happening inside a running FBP program, and depending on how far a given environment has implement the optional protocol features, can also create and edit new components right there in use, as well as run fbp-spec tests against them and the graphs.

Works also with JavaFBP, actually, if you install the FBP Protocol connector. 😉

Paul M.

/Henri

Paul Morrison

Oct 4, 2016, 10:17:44 AM10/4/16
to Henri Bergius, flow-based-...@googlegroups.com, Jon Nordby
That sounds very interesting!  This sounds like the next thing I should try, and in fact we could look at adding selected protocol features to the existing "classical" FBP implementations!  Perhaps someone on your team could lend a hand if I run into problems... 😃

Best regards,

Paul