Help needed with Maven, Gradle, and Javadoc!

Paul Morrison

Aug 14, 2016, 12:19:15 PM8/14/16
to Flow Based Programming, toivo...@gmail.com, er...@rohlicek.at, stewart mackenzie, Oleksandr Lobunets, Vladimir Sibirov, Humberto Madeira, PAUL TARVYDAS
Help!  I am really getting tired of floundering around with a bunch of software that I don't understand well, has unfriendly documentation, and lacks clear examples!  These three products are all interrelated, so usually when I get one working one of the other ones breaks!

There are apparently a whole lot of people keeping an eye on this Google Group, so I am assuming that the necessary skills are out there!  If one of you doesn't know, but knows an expert who does, please forward this note to them!  TIA

JavaFBP is now on Maven - version 4.0.1

JavaFBP on GitHub is at https://github.com/jpaulm/javafbp

Questions so far ( more may be coming later)...

a) the javadoc  jar file has two empty folders and one folder ('examples' outside 'resourcekit') which isn't needed and needs to be deleted.  Does this have to do with my folder structure?

b) was I correct to put the entire build.gradle file on GitHub?  It's got things like uploadArchives in it, which may have given a Unix user a problem, although it works for me.  Or should I put up a sawn-off version?

d) is build.gradle even correct?  Could someone look at the version on GitHub?

e) I'd like to restrict what goes on the javafbp jar file to just the directory called "core", but build javadoc on the whole thing - how do I do that?

f) JavaFBP-WebSockets depends on JavaFBP and also on Java-WebSocket:1.3.0 - does this have to be coded in both Gradle and Maven pom, or only one?  And how?

I think that's it for now...  Please take time from your busy schedules to give a floundering programmer a hand!  :-)

Many thanks,

Paul Morrison

ern0

Aug 16, 2016, 3:28:02 AM8/16/16
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
I can't answer, but I can support you as a soulmate.

> Help! I am really getting tired of floundering around with a bunch of
> software that I don't understand well, has unfriendly documentation, and
> lacks clear examples! These three products are all interrelated, so
> usually when I get one working one of the other ones breaks!

When I first met with this "fashion", I tought, I'm fool.

It was years ago, I've heard about JavaScript frameworks, and I've
figured out myself, what they're for, but I wasn't sure, and I has not
met any. These were the times, when JQurey was one of a hundred, there
were MooTools, Prototype etc. So, I started visiting sites of JS
frameworks. And I was in stuck, cca. you're now, but I've failed before
I've started anything. I couldn't figure out what JS frameworks are for,
docs were crap.

Except DomAssistant. It has a clear manifesto, it provides some example
right on the front page, and all the stuff is written in the same clear
style: http://www.domassistant.com/ Okay, today JQuery has well written
docs and lotsa other tutorials and examples, but it wasn't the practice.

So, never get angry with bad docs, it's the standard nowadays.
--
ern0
dataflow evangelist

Paul Morrison

Aug 16, 2016, 10:42:59 AM8/16/16
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Ernő and Theodore,

It's good to know that I'm not alone!  :-)  I did think that these tools were used widely enough that there would be a whole bunch of people saying something like, "You idiot... <fill in the blanks>".   But so far, the silence has been deafening!   Thanks for the support, though!

I do feel that, if we could get a team of people working together to improve the tools, it would help to get FBP more widely accepted.  No?  I guess we're all a bunch of rugged individualists!  :-)

Paul M.

--
ern0
dataflow evangelist

Message has been deleted

David Ryman

Aug 31, 2016, 2:09:10 PM8/31/16
to Flow Based Programming
[I did think that these tools were used widely enough that there would be a whole bunch of people....]

I did think that you would think that, which is why I am here, via ..., The Grid, Flowhub, noflo.js.

I am in the process of installing every FBP tool available, with variable results, none of which function as expected.

[I do feel that, if we could get a team of people working together to improve the tools, it would help to get FBP more widely accepted.  No?]

Yes, send me contact details of the 'we' you are talking about, I have a few suggestions.
...but, I believe FBP is the future. *sounds corny*
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to flow-based-programming+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Paul Morrison

Sep 1, 2016, 10:15:13 PM9/1/16
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Nice to hear from you!

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 2:09 PM, David Ryman <goo...@davidryman.com> wrote:
[I did think that these tools were used widely enough that there would be a whole bunch of people....]

I did think that you would think that, which is why I am here, via ..., The Grid, Flowhub, noflo.js.

I am in the process of installing every FBP tool available, with variable results, none of which function as expected.

The tools you list are all in the "NoFlo family".  As I keep repeating on different posts, these are what some of us are starting to call "FBP-like", (as opposed to "classical FBP", which I am much more attached to!) and are mostly (I think) coded in JavaScript or CoffeeScript, which I am not fond of!  I have played a bit with JavaScript, and if you really want to stay with JavaScript, I suggest you look at JSFBP - https://github.com/jpaulm/jsfbp .  It is based on Marcel Laverdet's node-fibers, and is IMO much closer to "classical" FBP than the FBP-like implementations.

Two tools which (again IMO) are pretty well integrated are DrawFBP and JavaFBP  - https://github.com/jpaulm/drawfbp and https://github.com/jpaulm/javafbp .  I explore these in my 3 YouTube videos on DrawFBP.  There is also a C# implementation: https://github.com/jpaulm/csharpfbp - currently being extended on https://bitbucket.org/TomFox/csharpfbp0 . Right now they are roughly still in step, but I don't know for how much longer!

[I do feel that, if we could get a team of people working together to improve the tools, it would help to get FBP more widely accepted.  No?]

Yes, send me contact details of the 'we' you are talking about, I have a few suggestions.

Suggestions would be fantastic!
...but, I believe FBP is the future. *sounds corny*

Maybe corny, but I believe absolutely right!  :-)  The 'we' is anyone who is willing to collaborate on this "future"!

Best regards,

Paul M.

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 3:27 AM, ern0 <er...@linkbroker.hu> wrote:
[...]

toivo...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2016, 4:38:01 AM9/2/16
to Flow Based Programming

Hi David,

>>I am in the process of installing every FBP tool available, with variable results, none of which function as expected.

Please can you describe in more detail.

Have you tried Nifi?

https://nifi.apache.org/

I agree, tools are important.

And certainly there are room for improvement.

Thanks

Toivo

toivo...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2016, 4:57:36 AM9/2/16
to Flow Based Programming, toivo...@gmail.com, er...@rohlicek.at, seto...@gmail.com, alexander...@gmail.com, trust...@kodigy.com, be...@gildrum.com, paulta...@gmail.com

Hi Paul,

Sorry, I am late.

I never used Gradle, so cannot help.

But I wonder, do you need Gradle at all? Isn’t Maven sufficient?

Thanks

Toivo

Paul Morrison

Sep 2, 2016, 10:22:32 AM9/2/16
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com, toivo...@gmail.com, er...@rohlicek.at, stewart mackenzie, Oleksandr Lobunets, Vladimir Sibirov, Humberto Madeira, PAUL TARVYDAS
Hi Toivo, it's really hard to figure out which software is "in" at a particular point in time!  Ernő sent me a brilliant send-up of this exact problem!

I am just going by the advice someone gave me - that Gradle is a powerful all-singing, all-dancing tool, which does things like building jar files, creating Maven poms, etc.  Of course the downside is that the build.gradle file gets more and more complex the more you add into it - hence my plea for help!

https://gradle.org/maven_vs_gradle/   (written by the Gradle people, admittedly!)

Regards,

Paul M.

ern0

Sep 2, 2016, 3:47:48 PM9/2/16
to Flow Based Programming, toivo...@gmail.com, er...@rohlicek.at, stewart mackenzie, Oleksandr Lobunets, Vladimir Sibirov, Humberto Madeira, PAUL TARVYDAS
I'm pretty sure there is a saying like "if you have 3 enemies and you
can't beat them, get a 4th enemy" or similar.

I recommend to use Docker.

If we have a fragile, hard-to-reproduce system, which is hard to
configure and easy to mess up, why should we follow hundred page long
instructions and fight with undocumented esoteric features? Let's do
it once, then share it. With Docker.

In this section, I'll simplify things in order to better and quicker
understanding. A docker "package" is a kinda' virtual machine image,
with one significant difference: it contains
- no boot and
- no kernel.

So, when you fire a docker image, it will use your hosts kernel, and will have:
- own process IDs (starting from 1),
- own filesystem (which can be mapped outside),
- own ports (which can bind out to host in order to reach inner
services outside).

So, if you set up an Apache 2.7.6.4.6 which requires
exoticlib4.5.3.2.4, but your host operating system has already Apache
2.6.4.5.6 installed requiring exoticlib5.3.2.3, it's no probem
anymore, you can make a Docker image with your stuff, and it will
happy live inside the Docker container. Even it can use port 80
inside, and you can map out to 8080.

Yes, Docker container contains a full... not! only a restricted Linux
distribution, with just as many stuff, as your application - running
inside it - requires. Minus kernel and boot stuff and init. Your
application will be the process ID 1. A typical Docker image is about
5-20 Mbytes large, depending on how much stuff you provide in /usr/bin
and so.

But even better: you don't need to provide 40 Mbtyte images, only
definitions. In Dockerfile, you can define your system layer by layer.

First, you can choose a pre-built image, e.g. a full or pure Debian,
Ubuntu, a Redis or MongoDB server, as I said, which I'm writing this
mail, they're PREPARED anc CONFIGURED properly. So, if you need a
Redis, you can install it on your host, or, download as a Docker
image, then you'll get it prepared properly.

There are some tons of pre-built Docker images: https://hub.docker.com/explore/

Do you need a Wordpress? Download Dockerfile, build and run in a
sandbox, don't bother with PHP versions, Apache configs, htaccess and
other magic. They're prepared.

So, if you want to make your own stuff, pick a base image, then
describe commands in Dockerfile, which will "perform" at the first
start (simplification!), and you will have an image containing the
base system and your additions.

Let's see an example (pseudo config):

BASE: http://hub.docker/debian7.1-64bit

EXEC: git clone https://github.com/my-stuff/

EXEC: cp my-stuff/config /etc/myconfig

RUN: my-stuff/startmyserver.sh

Actual config files looks like this. Yes, 5 lines.

If you make changes inside your docker machine, it can be registered,
and next time you can build a docker image based on your configuration
PLUS it will contain change you made "realtime" (almost true). So you
can create a properly created and polished system for later use.

On non-Linux systems Docker provide a CoreOS VM, which is a bare
minimal Linux distributon, and designed to run Docker images. You may
launch it before you launch your first Docker image.

Needless to say, if you have a Docker config, you can run it on any
machine Docker installed, even in cloud (cloud means "someone other's
machine"), which became fun if you plan your service for many
instances.

I wanted just to say that we should share stuff with Docker, because it's for
- sharing polished, special, unique systems
- which can be installed as simply as hell.
>> email to flow-based-progra...@googlegroups.com.
>

> --

ern0
dataflow evangelist

David Ryman

Sep 5, 2016, 3:44:13 PM9/5/16
to Flow Based Programming
Hi Paul,
I have been investigating FBP for about 10 days now, so I am a newbie.
My penchant is for interpreted languages rather than compiled, so Javascript, python, PHP, Prolog and Lisp all fit.
I have played your 3 videos multiple times, which all makes sense. The issues I have are the learning curve for github, gradle, maven, eclipse etc.

To my mind FBP is less about the language and more about the logic. Focusing on JS because I know that from web site building. I am originally a mainframe COBOL and Mini RPG AP, I understand OO but feel the implementations are often confused, studied post graduate AI, semi retired playing with web site frameworks (serendipity, wordpress, Drupal, B2Evolution, Quam Plures, Zencart, et al), now looking for the next step.

I have done a lot of coding to date and would have thought we would have written it all by now ! After all there is only about 5 programs you can write.
I use Linux exclusively and can see the marriage of it and FBP as a logical partnership. The philosophies are similar.

I will continue my exploration of DrawFBP and JavaFBP and add JSFBP to the mix and see where I can get to.

Would Perl be a good candidate for FBP?

Just a few random thoughts,
David R

--
ern0
dataflow evangelist

Paul Morrison

Sep 5, 2016, 4:23:51 PM9/5/16
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
That's great, David!

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 3:44 PM, David Ryman <goo...@davidryman.com> wrote:
Hi Paul,
I have been investigating FBP for about 10 days now, so I am a newbie.
My penchant is for interpreted languages rather than compiled, so Javascript, python, PHP, Prolog and Lisp all fit.

In which case you might be interested in the CppFBP/Lua mix - https://github.com/jpaulm/cppfbp .  I found Lua very easy to integrate with CppFBP, which I believe could itself act as an infrastructure for any number of script languages for components.

I have to say that, while I see the appeal of interpretive languages, I feel I get just as user-friendly an environment by using a powerful IDE and a strongly typed language like Java.  The problem I had with JavaScript was that sometimes I needed to know the type of a variable, and I could only find out at run-time!  So Java and Eclipse work very well for me!  :-)

I have played your 3 videos multiple times, which all makes sense.

Glad they make sense - I know they are not very polished, but I was concentrating on the content...  Is there another FBP-related topic which would be useful as a video?

The issues I have are the learning curve for github, gradle, maven, eclipse etc.

Me too!  At least the first three!

To my mind FBP is less about the language and more about the logic. Focusing on JS because I know that from web site building. I am originally a mainframe COBOL and Mini RPG AP, I understand OO but feel the implementations are often confused, studied post graduate AI, semi retired playing with web site frameworks (serendipity, wordpress, Drupal, B2Evolution, Quam Plures, Zencart, et al), now looking for the next step.

I have done a lot of coding to date and would have thought we would have written it all by now ! After all there is only about 5 programs you can write.

I use Linux exclusively and can see the marriage of it and FBP as a logical partnership. The philosophies are similar.

If I could add named ports to Linux, I think this would be a pretty good match...  in fact, someone told me there may be a way to do this...?

I will continue my exploration of DrawFBP and JavaFBP and add JSFBP to the mix and see where I can get to.

Look forward to hearing what you discover!

Would Perl be a good candidate for FBP?

I used Perl briefly quite a few years ago...  I seem to remember vaguely that you can imbed commands in it - if so, this might work.  A friend of mine extended CMS along FBP lines by adding what he called "stages" - CMS Pipelines - see https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSB27U_6.3.0/com.ibm.zvm.v630.dmsc5/toc.htm  - and I also built (quite a few years ago) a powerful application for IBM mainframes which combined an early Assembler FBP implementation with REXX (which supports subcommand environments) and some graphics software.  Worked like a charm!

FBP basically allows communication between all software that talks "data"!

Regards,

Paul

--
ern0
dataflow evangelist

Paul Morrison

Sep 5, 2016, 6:14:26 PM9/5/16
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

One related point: the problem (?) with VM-based languages is that they have their own infrastructures - however, they can communicate using Sockets.  This means that you can theoretically build an application using any combination of languages.

You might also find https://github.com/jpaulm/javafbp-websockets interesting...

Cheers,

Paul
Message has been deleted

Paul Morrison

Sep 19, 2016, 3:00:53 PM9/19/16
to Flow Based Programming, paulta...@gmail.com
Just to let you all know that  the latest version of DrawFBP is now up on Maven Central (finally!) - go to http://search.maven.org/ , and search for DrawFBP.

Download the .jar file from here, and execute using Java Platform SE binary.

Enjoy!

Paul M.

David Ryman (ANeo)

Nov 17, 2016, 3:14:38 PM11/17/16
to Flow Based Programming, paulta...@gmail.com
Hey Paul,
OK, I am getting more comfortable with DrawFBP, and am looking at the javafbpcompattrs in an effort to build component blocks for flowcharting.
I managed somehow to get javafbp running on 1 box. Now I am having issues following instructions on the 2nd box.
I downloaded the zip file from github and extracted to javafbp.
running gradel build in javafbp, I get an error
Could not find property 'ossrhUser' on NexusStaging

Looking at the build.gradle file I see
compile files('C:/Program Files/Java/jdk1.8.0_101/lib/tools.jar')

Guess this is not a file for Linux. Also
Windows and Linux users should follow the installation instructions on the Maven website.
no idea what this is.

Help!

Paul Morrison

Nov 17, 2016, 6:51:23 PM11/17/16
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com, PAUL TARVYDAS
Hi David,

Not sure what you mean by 1st and 2nd box...  If you are referring to the gradle build instructions, that is for people who want to modify JavaFBP.  The gradle build brings in some dependencies, and prepares files for adding to Maven, e.g. the Pom.

For applications, I just create a new project in Eclipse, and then add the latest javafbp jar file to the build path (obtainable from Maven, or from GitHub/Javafbp/Releases - https://github.com/jpaulm/javafbp/releases ).  Let me know what you are trying to do, and then hopefully I can step you through the necessary steps.

Sorry for the confusion!

TIA

Paul M

David Ryman (ANeo)

Nov 17, 2016, 8:02:04 PM11/17/16
to Flow Based Programming, paulta...@gmail.com
I have deliberately avoided java till now,
the boxes are my PCs.

What I need is to see what javaFBP, and in theory what all FBP runtimes, will provide as far as available components. To run JavaFBPCompAttrs

Mke sure you run gradle build to have the necessary JavaFBPCompAttrs.class file generated.
.class file generated.
What I want to do is run command - java *****JavaFBPCompAttrs.class , and pipe the output into a node-red flow to generate *.shape files to use in a flowchart program to create javaFBP networks that will run in the javaFBP runtime.

Paul Morrison

Nov 17, 2016, 8:02:29 PM11/17/16
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
Hi David, could you try the sort sequence test again using
https://github.com/jpaulm/drawfbp/releases/download/v2.13.6/drawfbp-2.13.6.jar

I have dropped the sort altogether - doesn't seem to work for you, but it may not be necessary anyway!  Thanks!

Paul

Paul Morrison

Nov 17, 2016, 8:15:03 PM11/17/16
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
Interesting!  Unfortunately JavaFBPCompAttrs is what the Javadoc folks call a doclet, and is driven by Javadoc's internal control blocks.  We could also recast it to use the Java annotations after loading the actual component classes.  However, if you dump the output of JavaFBPCompAttrs to a file, you could certainly write your own parser for it... in the language of your choice!

Regards,

Paul

David Ryman (ANeo)

Nov 17, 2016, 8:24:51 PM11/17/16
to Flow Based Programming
same. Interesting that the order of the 3 drawfbp-x.x.x.jar files are 5,6 and then 4. it may be random but at least it is consistent.

David Ryman (ANeo)

Nov 18, 2016, 3:29:10 PM11/18/16
to Flow Based Programming
I, for the time being, give up on Java again. My unique processor has issues with too many links in a chain, so have to avoid descending down too many rabbit holes, else I get bogged down and the ADHD kicks in.
There are Java and Javadoc folk? Perhaps it is too developed to be included initially.
As I understand basic JS, I am switching to JSFBP, which was the direction I was heading in before trying to understand components. Parsing the .js files into shape files looks much more doable.

I have been a member of London Advanced Motorcyclists (LAM) and 1 of the major focuses is on making progress within the rules. I looked ahead, saw Java, tried to avoid it, and hit it head on. That's a lesson about code reuse.

ANeo
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to flow-based-programming+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Paul Morrison

Nov 18, 2016, 4:38:06 PM11/18/16
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
Oh well!  I like JSFBP as much as one can like something based on JS!  And it will only use one core...

Another transplanted Brit?  MSc level Artificial Intelligence Hacker Zen Taoist. sounds down my line of country, except that I could never get my head around Zen ;-)

Regards,

Paul

http://www.jpaulmorrison.com/

ANeo
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to flow-based-programming+unsubscri...@googlegroups.com.

David Ryman

Nov 18, 2016, 9:56:25 PM11/18/16
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
At this point I have no particular affinity to any. I guess I am an incremental builder. It really does not matter to me at the moment as I need to get my shape files created. I have a little idea of how to proceed after that, but it will fill in as I move on. Once one is done, the next is easier.
Absence of technology should not prevent development to use of that technology, it'll catch up.

Zen is simple. Transplanted Brit, but still an Earthling.

I think I might be starting with complexity and trying to introduce simplicity, which won't work.
In multi-layer feedforward Neural Network it has been proven that 3 layers is sufficient to represent anything in the Universe, it is the width that makes it work not the depth. Not sure how that applies to FBP, but I feel it should. In Tech terms, the width might be languages and the depth might be whatever OO and the rabbit holes I keep going down are. Not sure what the 3 layers would represent, perhaps that is the mission ! Einstein must have gone through a lot of complexity before arriving at E=mc2. This might be the Matrix, but I am more like Dirk Gently, holistic detective, everything is connected.

ANeo

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Flow Based Programming" group.