Who dared to delete J. Paul's video?!

Constantine

Jan 25, 2015, 5:03:04 AM1/25/15
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com

The origins of Flow-Based Programming with J Paul Morrison

https://vimeo.com/72238422

Where is it?!

Constantine

Jan 25, 2015, 5:11:04 AM1/25/15
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com

Paul Morrison

Jan 25, 2015, 12:38:18 PM1/25/15
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com, Dan Tocchini, Gordon Henson
Me!  I had to ask Vimeo to block it for the time being, as there was material in it that I no longer believe to be correct.  The video was made by Gordon Henson, and he was quite willing to fix the parts that needed to be changed, but he is not in a position to do so right now.  I also tried to contact Dan Tocchini on numerous occasions (starting early last summer) and he has never answered a single email.  I have no idea what has happened to him.

If you can find a videographer who is able to make the changes, I am pretty sure some arrangement can be made with Gordon.  In the meantime, I am not willing to have a video out there that misrepresents my opinions.

I regret you had to find out this way, but I couldn't find any other way to resolve this.  Perhaps Dan could make some suggestions...?

Apologies, and best regards,

Paul M.

Paul Morrison

Jan 25, 2015, 4:12:46 PM1/25/15
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com, d...@thegrid.io, gordon...@gmail.com
By the way, I might suggest you take a look at http://player.vimeo.com/video/79329015 - it is much less polished than the video  you are referring to, and the intercut slides are horribly blurry, but it says exactly what I wanted to say.  I would welcome suggestions from anyone on how we can create a new solid video, or even take the original video and improve it.

Hopefully your post will trigger some constructive action - this problem has been festering for too long!

Best regards,

Paul M.

Sam Watkins

Jan 26, 2015, 8:42:31 PM1/26/15
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
Rather than blocking the video entirely, it might be better to add a
note to the video description, saying that some things might be out of
date, and where to go for updated info.

Paul Morrison

Jan 26, 2015, 9:50:55 PM1/26/15
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com, Sam Watkins
Ideally I'd like to use the old video as raw material to create a new and improved version.  The guy who put it together was willing to make the desired changes, but is no longer in a position to do it.  Are there any videographers out there who would be willing to make the changes?  There are a few that are IMO absolutely essential, while the others grate on me - but maybe wouldn't bother other people - so I don't see it as a big job for someone with the right equipment!

Regards,

Paul

Paul Morrison

Feb 12, 2015, 9:48:05 AM2/12/15
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com, Sam Watkins, Gordon Henson
Hi Constantine and others,

A modified video of this interview is now available on Youtube - http://youtu.be/zZ3HVEdoie0 .

Many thanks, Sam, for making the changes, and Gordon for the original film work!  I am very comfortable with the final result!

Regards,

Paul

Ged Byrne

Feb 12, 2015, 10:07:35 AM2/12/15
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com, Sam Watkins, Gordon Henson
You make some great observations in this video.

There's no reason why we have to put up with difficult to maintain and modify code.

No need to accept the consequences of bad design choices because the code would be too difficult to change.

With flow based programming done right we can keep the code clear and responsive. We can make changes that would not be feasible with other approaches.

Regards,

Ged

Paul Morrison

Feb 12, 2015, 2:37:50 PM2/12/15
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the kind words!

I keep reading about software disasters, and keep wondering if FBP could have prevented (or reduced) those... :-)

e.g. http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2015/02/10/liberals-order-independent-review-of-welfare-computer-system-troubles.html

Paul

Ged Byrne

Feb 13, 2015, 3:30:17 AM2/13/15
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

I've just finished reading 'The Box' about container shipping. It's fascinating because it shows how difficult it is for a better way of doing things to succeed in an industry entrenched with vested interests.

I believe that FBP is following a similar journey. It's a truly disruptive technology, changing many of the assumptions that the current, inefficient, corrupt software industry is based upon.

The key one is that software is write only, that it is written at great cost, maintained at increasing expense until replacement makes economic sense.

That software is like consumer hardware or clothing, with built in obselesence, subject to fads and fashions.

Right now I see people attempting to make another fad out of FBP. I don't believe it serves that purpose very well.

Despite recruiting so many architects the idea that software might be like a building is rejected. The idea that software can be improved, extended and renovated is rejected

FBP is an enabling technology that makes that possible. The industry prefers to serve up waves of ersatz componentisation based upon flawed concepts. It is more profitable to keep a customer hungry for more than to leave them satiated.

For those who work in IT, at least. The businesses that continues to pay and suffer losses on chaotic IT projects are crying out for a better way, but like a fast food joint the software professionals want to provide empty calories that will never properly satisfy the customers.

The salt on the fries promotes thirst, the sweetness of the drink leaves a desire for more food. Each fad solves the problems created by the last while creating new problems to be solved by the next.

FBPs future success requires that this industry be upturned. For the encumbants to maintain their bloated profit margins the status quo must be maintained.

Regards,

Ged

Paul Morrison

Feb 13, 2015, 9:57:56 AM2/13/15
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
Powerful words!  As I've said before, I'm convinced the root of the problem is the von Neumann paradigm.  If you grew up with computers, you can't break out of the paradigm - and if there's a problem with the software, it's obviously the fault of the programmers...

However, "Never ascribe to malice what can more easily be explained by stupidity".  The big consultants probably aren't malicious - they've just discovered a cash cow, and are milking it for all they're worth!  :-)

Keep writing, Ged - you express yourself very well!

Best regards,

PS Did you look at http://player.vimeo.com/video/79329015  - it's not as polished as the one we've been talking about, but I think it makes some good points...

Constantine

Feb 13, 2015, 1:01:50 PM2/13/15
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for re-uploading it, Paul! Your ideas and observations spoken in this video resonates with me very strongly...

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Flow Based Programming" group.

コンスタンティン・タラセンコフ
http://procedural.tumblr.com

Paul Morrison

Feb 13, 2015, 3:24:49 PM2/13/15
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Constantine!  The message spreads.... (I hope)!