The Luna language

Samuel Lampa

Jan 17, 2018, 8:09:01 AM1/17/18
to Flow Based Programming
I thought people in this group might want to check out the Luna language:

They just released 1.0 Beta, and is currently featured on the front page on HackerNews, resulting in active discussions:

It is some kind of functional language which provides a graphical representation of the dataflow graph between functions. They stress the duality between code and the visual representation a lot.

It is reportedly implemented on top of Haskell (thus more "compiled" than browser based), with the visual designer implemented with web technology (Atom).

I'm still trying to get my head about connections/overlap with FBP.

// Samuel

Ryan Gahl

Jan 17, 2018, 12:36:48 PM1/17/18
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
Have been watching that project for awhile. Will play with the beta now that it's out.

I sort of think it's ultimately going to be not much more than a fancy toy, but am definitely open to having my mind changed (after all, that opinion is just based on reading their marketing site)

Samuel Lampa

Jan 26, 2018, 8:29:06 AM1/26/18
to Flow Based Programming

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 6:36:48 PM UTC+1, Ryan Gahl wrote:
Have been watching that project for awhile. Will play with the beta now that it's out.

I sort of think it's ultimately going to be not much more than a fancy toy, but am definitely open to having my mind changed (after all, that opinion is just based on reading their marketing site)

Yeah, it will be interesting to see. I got some answers to my few questions about how function executions are scheduled:

The scheduling is not very FBP-like by default, but seems it might be possible to make it more so with a bit of code.

// Samuel