Towards Separation of Concerns in Flow-Based Programming

bahram zarrin

Mar 30, 2015, 10:33:11 PM3/30/15
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

It would be grate to know your feedback on this paper.

Thanks
Regards,
Bahram

Ged Byrne

Mar 31, 2015, 4:26:23 AM3/31/15
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
Do I really have to pay $15 to read it?

Paul Morrison

Apr 1, 2015, 7:46:00 PM4/1/15
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
An "aspect-oriented extension to FBP" sounds interesting - however, it looks as if it will cost us $10 each - even if we all join the ACM... Would you be willing to share your ideas with the Group?

Regards,

Paul M.

bahram zarrin

Apr 1, 2015, 8:44:10 PM4/1/15
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Please find the presentation as attached.

Regards,
Bahram
AOFBP.ppt

John Cowan

Apr 1, 2015, 8:51:10 PM4/1/15
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
Paul Morrison scripsit:

> An "aspect-oriented extension to FBP" sounds interesting - however, it
> looks as if it will cost us $10 each - even if we all join the ACM... Would
> you be willing to share your ideas with the Group?

The author can post the last author version (peer reviewed but not
copy edited by the journal) of any paper published in an ACM journal.
This is called "green Open Access".

--
John Cowan http://www.ccil.org/~cowan co...@ccil.org
Barry thirteen gules and argent on a canton azure fifty mullets of five

Sam Watkins

Apr 2, 2015, 12:02:18 AM4/2/15
On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 08:51:07PM -0400, John Cowan wrote:
> The author can post the last author version (peer reviewed but not
> copy edited by the journal) of any paper published in an ACM journal.
> This is called "green Open Access".

Personally, not that it's likely to be an issue for me, I would not
accept to have a paper published in a journal which will assume
copyright or otherwise restrict access to the paper without my
permission. I'd rather post it on my website or github and tell my
friends. These journals seem to have a terribly backwards approach.

Adil Hasan

Apr 2, 2015, 2:04:27 AM4/2/15
to Sam Watkins, flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
just a short comment there's also the http://arxiv.org/ which has a
section on computing and distributed computing (could I guess even
start a flow-based computing section). That's open and free. It's not
peer reviewed, but one can post comments to articles (so it partially is).
hth
adil

Ged Byrne

Apr 2, 2015, 6:44:07 AM4/2/15
to flow-based-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bahram,

An interesting read.  I have a few questions:
  1. How does the around pointcut apply to the components such as COUNTER or COLLATE where there is not a simple 1:1 relationship between inputs and outputs?
    1. https://github.com/jpaulm/javafbp/blob/master/src/main/java/com/jpmorrsn/fbp/components/Counter.java
    2. https://github.com/jpaulm/javafbp/blob/master/src/main/java/com/jpmorrsn/fbp/components/Collate.java
    3. Classic AOP is usually applied to call hierarchies, where requests and responses always paired together.  This is not the case in FBP, as demonstrated by these two components.
  2. Have you considered the Policy approach used by SCA.  Here Aspects are associated with Policies rather than Pointcuts.  These policies can then be associated with components or connections.
    1. The SCA Policy Specification - http://docs.oasis-open.org/opencsa/sca-policy/sca-policy-1.1.html
    2. Chapter 10 from Tuscany in Action, includes simple Logging example: http://media.techtarget.com/searchSOA/downloads/TuscanyCH10.pdf
  3. Have you considered Aspects for IPs?
    1. You might have pointcuts (or policies) the SEND, RECEIVE, CREATE and DELETE events.
    2. You may also want to intercept on OPEN and CLOSE brackets: http://www.jpaulmorrison.com/fbp/substrs.shtml
Regards,

Ged