Simple Publishing URL for html without a Domain Name

Mark Zinzow

Apr 26, 2015, 12:48:52 AM4/26/15
to flore...@googlegroups.com
Yesterday I published a web page on Google Drive for the first time using a URL that was generated by Amit Agarwal's 1-click Website Hosting
Google Drive script.  I wanted to make a quick change in the html, and was surprised when Google Drive suggested I could open my html file with Editey.  The link I got from the script returned the original edit, and I didn't want to register a domain name to follow the directions in the user guide at http://help.editey.com/en/user.html, so I checked the FAQ (very sparse so far) and this group where most questions on publishing seemed rather lacking answers, so I went through a bunch of web searches and finally found a tip to try a URL of the form:

https://googledrive.com/host/<FILE-ID>

which worked like a charm!  I thought I'd share this here, since it is not in the FAQ and perhaps this post will make answering this question a bit easier for the next person.  Just grab your file id from the URL Editey or HTML Editey drops you in, and pop it in to the one above to create a link to share.

e.g.:
http://www.editey.com/file/<FILE-ID>   -->  https://googledrive.com/host/<FILE-ID>
http://html.editey.com/file/<FILE-ID>  -->  https://googledrive.com/host/<FILE-ID>

Google's Drive help says it will show you this link, but it did not for me when I tried that procedure:
https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2881970?hl=en

Since my page was 99% Javascript the preview in
Editey was not very helpful.  If Editey were my app, I'd add a "View in Browser" to the View menu, and perhaps a "Show hosting URL" option in the File menu that shows or launches the host link to make this tool a bit more friendly.  I must say I did enjoy seeing my code with syntax highlighting more than the simple Google Drive view.