Generating Spreadsheet

Erik Christensen

Jul 14, 2015, 8:05:50 PM7/14/15
to flore...@googlegroups.com

Much the same way we generate google docs for new engagements, I need spreadsheets to boot.

I can't seem to find the functionality to build out a spreadsheet from a template, such as I do with Google Docs.

Can you give me guidance?

Daniel Florey

Jul 15, 2015, 5:43:32 AM7/15/15
to floreysoft GmbH
Building spreadsheets is not (yet) supported and technically very challenging.
But thanks for the feature request, noted.

Erik Christensen

Jul 15, 2015, 7:19:45 AM7/15/15
to flore...@googlegroups.com
What about just duplicating a spreadsheet?

I just need the file available.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "floreysoft" group.
Message has been deleted

Daniel Florey

Jul 16, 2015, 5:52:43 AM7/16/15
to floreysoft GmbH
I've put this on my todo list and hope to be able to provide something soon.

Erik Christensen

Jul 16, 2015, 8:04:29 AM7/16/15
to flore...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!

Daniel Florey

Jul 21, 2015, 10:08:52 AM7/21/15
to flore...@googlegroups.com, er...@littlerocket.ca
I've added the "Copy file" building  block in the drive section. It may be used in after the  "Find file" block to set the source file id.

Erik Christensen

Jul 21, 2015, 10:16:49 AM7/21/15
to flore...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

Jason S

Jul 21, 2015, 11:04:16 AM7/21/15
to flore...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much for the fast implementation, Daniel.

Quick question for you: is there a way to then load the sheet using the newly-copied file or is this simply at this point a way to refer to / point to the new file for external editing?

Daniel Florey

Jul 21, 2015, 11:07:28 AM7/21/15
to floreysoft GmbH
Right now there are some bit and pieces missing to fully take advantage of the new file.
I'm working on enabling the use of the new copy for loading/updating the data instead of the picked default sheet.
But this will take some more days...

Mark E

Apr 26, 2016, 11:53:53 AM4/26/16
to floreysoft
Copy file is working great for making a copy of a Google Spreadsheet; however, how can I specify the folder of the copied file to be a variable?  I would like to create a new folder with the name of an output variable (this part is easy).  I would then like to make a copy of a spreadsheet and place it in the newly created folder (named as the output variable).

I can't seem to figure out how to set the folder destination of the copy file building block to be a variable.  It only accepts an absolute folder name.  I have tried to place a find folder building block before the copy file, but this does not specify the folder path.

Thanks,
Mark

Daniel Florey

Apr 26, 2016, 12:39:35 PM4/26/16
to floreysoft GmbH
Thanks for the catch!
I'll try to add the folderId as input variable in the next days to allow you to use the tracked down folder as target folder.

Follow Agosto: Twitter / Blog / LinkedIn
Learn More: www.agosto.com

CONFIDENTIALITY
The information transmitted herein is intended only for the addressee and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged material. Any unauthorized review, distribution or other use of or the taking of any action in reliance upon this information is prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please contact the sender and delete or destroy this message and all copies.

Mark Erlandson

Apr 26, 2016, 12:42:16 PM4/26/16
to flore...@googlegroups.com
Daniel,

You do that and you are my hero!

Cheers!
Mark

Mark Erlandson | Agosto, Inc. | Director of Cloud Services | Direct: 612.605.3564 | mark.er...@agosto.com

Daniel Florey

Apr 26, 2016, 12:56:50 PM4/26/16
to floreysoft GmbH
I've added the folderId variable (you'll have to click on the reload icon in the copy block), but I did not test ;-)
Can you do a test?

Mark E

Apr 26, 2016, 1:27:47 PM4/26/16
to floreysoft
Daniel,

I am amazed at how quickly you turned this around!  My testing confirms that this is working great.  Below is are the steps to make it work.

  1. Create a folder and name it as the variable specified as a value entered in a spreadsheet  (use this as the folder name in step3)
  2. Find the file named "Ultradox Input Test" in the folder "Templates (use this for the source file in step 3)
  3. Make a copy of the file specified in step 2 (${fileId}) and place it in the folder specified in step 1 (${folderId})

Many thanks on getting this added so quickly!

Thanks
Mark

Daniel Florey

Apr 26, 2016, 6:35:57 PM4/26/16
to floreysoft
Thanks a lot for testing + for the feedback! Looks great!

in...@themissingmiddle.org.uk

Nov 10, 2016, 10:30:33 AM11/10/16
to floreysoft
Thanks for this.

I followed Mark's steps to create a folder based on a variable name. I succeeded to do so, although I was wondering whether this could be done in an automatic fashion.

For example, I am now trying to create a folder with the name of the applicant for each Google Forms submission. I am able to do this one-by-one (i.e. for each new entry I have to define the cell, such as ${sheet1:B2} than ${sheet1:B3) etc.) But is there a way to make this automatic? I have tried to do this by entering ${sheet1:B}, but that does not work.

Any ideas?