Fonts

Skip to the first unread message

Filip Vaněk

27 Mar 2015, 10:59:1627/03/2015
to flore...@googlegroups.com
Good day,
I am unable to change font. Is there any setting that set up generator font ?

FV

Daniel Florey

27 Mar 2015, 11:01:0427/03/2015
to floreysoft GmbH
Can you give me more info?

Filip Vaněk

27 Mar 2015, 11:13:2827/03/2015
to flore...@googlegroups.com
Hello

When I generate pdf from gdoc template which contains two different fonts. Generated pdf is always in same font (probably arial?). Is this function that normally works fine ? Maybe it is caused by a fact I am from czech republic (CZ google docs).

FV

Filip Vaněk
SATHEA VISION s.r.o.
Studentská 541/3
Praha 6 160 00
tel.: +420728886322

Daniel Florey

27 Mar 2015, 11:15:1027/03/2015
to floreysoft GmbH
It should work fine. Can you share the document with me?

Filip Vaněk

27 Mar 2015, 11:27:5527/03/2015
to flore...@googlegroups.com
It will take a while i need to go now. I will share it around 9 pm. Thank you very much for your effort.

Filip Vaněk

28 Mar 2015, 07:51:2228/03/2015
to flore...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I shared the project with you. Pls look at the rendered fonts.

FV

Daniel Florey

28 Mar 2015, 07:56:5628/03/2015
to floreysoft GmbH
Looks like some fonts are not available on our servers. How did you add these fonts?

Filip Vaněk

28 Mar 2015, 08:04:5528/03/2015
to flore...@googlegroups.com
I haven' t add them. Those are standard fonts of US gdocs. You can download them at http://www.google.com/fonts, if you like to use them offline. Is it possible to add them to your rendering script ?

FV

Filip Vaněk

1 Apr 2015, 07:01:3701/04/2015
to flore...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Is it possible to add these fonts ? This is decisive criterion for our company.

Thank you.

FV

Daniel Florey

1 Apr 2015, 07:04:2001/04/2015
to floreysoft GmbH
Yes, I'll try to update the fonts and will let you know when it is ready to test.

Thanks!
Daniel

Daniel Florey

1 Apr 2015, 12:21:1401/04/2015
to floreysoft GmbH
I've done some research and the fonts that you are using are not available as free fonts:

E.g. the corsiva font seems to be from Monotype:

All free Google webfonts are supported by Ultradox.

Hope this helps,

Daniel

Daniel Florey

1 Apr 2015, 12:39:2201/04/2015
to floreysoft GmbH
Note:
If you can provide us the missing fonts that you need, we can add them for you to the Ultradox engine.

Regards,
Daniel

Filip Vaněk

1 Apr 2015, 13:27:5001/04/2015
to flore...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Thank you very much, it works perfectly now!!

FV

Lindy

1 Apr 2015, 16:16:4901/04/2015
to flore...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

I'm also trying to use Editey and I'm also running into a font issue. It seems that even if I chose a free font from Google Fonts, it doesn't show up in the resulting webpage. Are not all google fonts supported by Ultradox? So do most have to be manually added?

Thanks,
Lindy

p.s. I'm trying to use Maven Pro

Henrik Waeltken

29 May 2023, 14:32:1229/05/2023
to floreysoft
Daniel,

We seem to be running into a similar problem. Our company uses the following two font families in our document templates Avenir Next LT Pro and Helvetica Neue - both font families are findable in Google Docs. Whenever I generate a PDF from my Google Doc template with this font, the generated PDF does not have that font and instead uses a font family called Deja-Vu-Sans. Avenir is available publicly in Google Docs.

I will continue testing different fonts. What might be happening?

Regards,

Henrik

Henrik Waeltken

30 May 2023, 10:30:5730/05/2023
to floreysoft
quick follow up - even when the Google Doc document template is all Calibri or Arial, the resulting Ultradox generated PDF file does not contain those original fonts but instead Arial turns into LiberationSans. Calibri turns into Carlito

Upon inspection, it looks like the PDF is being generated by LibreOffice 6.2.Would this have something to do with this? Are there known issues like this with merging PDFs from Google Doc templates using this renderer? Separately we were fighting with template / renderer issues with images in the document footer and also page breaks not being respected consistently in the output PDF.

Critically we need your guidance how to build a work-around - would all these problems with fonts, template footer and page breaks disappear if we used LibreOffice to build our template? This puts our project at risk.

Regards,

Henrik

Daniel Florey

30 May 2023, 10:57:0330/05/2023
to flore...@googlegroups.com
Hi Henrik,
could you please share the template with me?
As we are using LibreOffice to convert the documents you'd get the best pixel-perfect results when creating your templates with LibreOffice instead of Google Docs.
I'd like to check the fonts issue though.
Best,
Daniel

This e-mail is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and contains information which is confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this e-mail information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Henrik Waeltken

30 May 2023, 12:01:0930/05/2023
to floreysoft
Daniel,

thank you - While I can share the original template due to sensitive content, I've shared a generic Google Doc with 4 paragraphs with relevant fonts (Arial, Calibri, Avenir and Helvetica Neue). When I run this template into my Ultradox project, the output PDF replaces the first three with Open Office (?) type fonts and the last, Helvetica, it also uses the Deja-Vu font, I'm guessing that Helvetica is not available in LibreOffice. See screenshots below.

Source Screenshot.png

Output Screenshot.png

Henrik Waeltken

30 May 2023, 14:24:5930/05/2023
to floreysoft
which version of LibreOffice should be used? Looks like the renderer currently is version 6.2 but the LibreOffice product is not on 7.5.3 or something similar. Have other Ultradox users who leverage LibreOffice reported any compatibility issues?

Regards,

Justin Wright

30 May 2023, 15:15:1930/05/2023
to flore...@googlegroups.com
I no longer use ultra docs, but I found the best way to get the pdf from google docs was to create a custom webhook to use the google doc native pdf create

--
Justin Wright
Registered Architect

Assembly Architects Limited
6 Arrow Lane Arrowtown 9302
PO Box 192 Arrowtown 9351

Telephone 03 4098931

Mobile 021 560998 Louise
Mobile 021 565363 Justin

Waeltken, Henrik

30 May 2023, 15:51:5830/05/2023
to flore...@googlegroups.com
would you be able to point me to any resources on this method? do you have an example? Would you be able to call the webhook from Ultradox and bring the data back into the flow?

Regards,

Henrik

--
Henrik Waeltken
Senior Director, People & Culture Shared Services

Planned Parenthood Federation of America

upcoming PTO 4/5-4/14

Justin Wright

30 May 2023, 16:03:1630/05/2023
to flore...@googlegroups.com
It’s a long time ago I did it so can’t recall how I did.  I recall having issues with pdf formatting so I created a custom webhook block in ultra docs and was able to get the google pdf back to the ultra doc workflow.
It is possible but can not recall how…

Henrik Waeltken

31 May 2023, 07:42:0531/05/2023
to floreysoft
Daniel,

I've gone ahead and installed LibreOffice (7.5.3) and recreated my test file in .odt. When I integrate the LibreOffice merge into my flow,  the resulting PDF has the same issues. The resulting PDF does not contain any of the original fonts. Now what can we do?  We purchased a subscription license in order to be able to run our document process through the tool at scale. Do you have any other ideas what might be wrong?

LibreOfficeInputTemplate.png
LibreOfficeOutputPDF.png

Daniel Florey

31 May 2023, 07:57:5831/05/2023
to flore...@googlegroups.com
I'm digging into this right now and will let you know if I find the root cause. Looks like the fonts in question are not correctly loaded when converting the document.
We have installed all Google Fonts on our servers that run the conversion, so all of them should be available.

Waeltken, Henrik

31 May 2023, 08:49:4431/05/2023
to flore...@googlegroups.com
Really appreciate it - it's very strange because even Arial and Calibri which are available in everything seem to not be exporting correctly.

-- H

Daniel Florey

31 May 2023, 08:52:2531/05/2023
to flore...@googlegroups.com
The issue is related to MS Windows specific system fonts. There a some free replacement fonts available, but they may not match the MS fonts 100%.
Is there a chance that you can use free fonts instead? All Google fonts should be available:

Waeltken, Henrik

31 May 2023, 10:35:5531/05/2023
to flore...@googlegroups.com
I will test with all Google fonts only

Henrik Waeltken

31 May 2023, 13:22:3931/05/2023
to floreysoft
I've tested with all Google Doc internal fonts and the resulting PDF properties include all the same fonts. Please see screenshots below.

If this is a system limitation of using the LibreOffice for all PDF conversions, are there any other options, other than switching to similar looking fonts in our templates, only using the native Google fonts? Any other way to export using the MS fonts? If the business wants to keep everything in the same look and feel, we will have to revert to a more basic document merge utility which supports all the required fonts using a regular document merge.

Another user mentioned using the Files.Export method by Google Drive, downloading the Google doc as PDF, essentially using the Google native PDF distiller and returning it to the flow for further processing into the desired folder structure in Google Drive. The issue we're facing there is that the returned file is binary and does not get captured in an output variable in that Google Drive API extension. Is there some sort of modification that we could deploy to capture what the Google Drive API is sending back (binary file).

Google Drive File Export.png

Regards,

Henrik

Daniel Florey

31 May 2023, 13:35:4831/05/2023
to flore...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
thanks for your confirmation!
You can use the "Download" block in the Google Drive folder and pass the "application/pdf" mimeType to get the resulting PDF.
But I'm not quite sure if this is a feasible approach as you would have to generate a Google Doc from Google Doc template and upload the resulting doc to Google Drive, which may cause other issues due to the way Google Docs works (there is no lossless export / import format).
If your business relies on the proprietary MS fonts, we may be able to install them for you on our servers. This may involve some additional costs for the fonts itself, I'd need to do more research on how we could license them on your behalf.
So it would be much more hassle-free to switch to similar free fonts instead.
Best,
Daniel

Henrik Waeltken

31 May 2023, 14:25:0131/05/2023
to floreysoft
Thanks for giving this issue your attention: the two font families in question appear to be available for free:

I will continue to test out the alternative Download method as I need to provide some samples by EOW. You mention potential other issues with this method, do you anticipate that this merge/upload/download/upload combination would adversely impact the PDF file? What might happen? More issues with fonts/formatting/image quality?

Cheers.

Henrik

Henrik Waeltken

31 May 2023, 16:22:2631/05/2023
to floreysoft
the option to instruct Google Drive to Download using mimeType = application/pdf is not resulting in a pdf conversion. The resulting file remains a merged copy of the Google Doc and after successful download, the mimeType is overwritten as "application/vnd.google-apps.document". Please see below. There is a separate API block to export file for Google Drive but the exported file comes out as binary.

Regards,

Henrik

Google Drive Download as PDF mimeType.png

Henrik Waeltken

1 Jun 2023, 11:10:5901/06/2023
to floreysoft
Daniel,

please let us know if it would be possible to get these free fonts loaded into the server. It would solve our problems in one. If there are costs associated with it, we may be able to cover them.

Regards,

Henrik

Daniel Florey

1 Jun 2023, 12:53:2801/06/2023
to flore...@googlegroups.com
I'll have to check the licenses and do some tests on our side before pushing any changers to production.
I'm pretty confident that it should work, but it will take some days to build a new instance template and update all server instances with the new fonts.
I'll get back to you at the beginning of next week latest.
Best,
Daniel

Henrik Waeltken

6 Jun 2023, 10:17:0606/06/2023
to floreysoft
Daniel,

I wanted to follow up with you - were you able to test and will these fonts become part of production? When do you think?

We are getting feedback about font mismatches from our stakeholders and need to finalize our templates and production run by EOW.

Regards,

Henrik