python-flint is alive

Fredrik Johansson

Oct 16, 2018, 9:44:07 AM10/16/18
to flint-devel
Hello all,

I have resurrected python-flint for the second (or is it third?) time.

The goal is to have a Python wrapper for Flint and Arb that is just a standalone and lightweight Python module, no multi-gigabyte Sage installation required. Also, the user doesn't have to construct parent rings, so the interface is more convenient for quick calculations.

I have recently fixed a lot of things:

* Both python2 and python3 now work fully
* All current tests are passing
* CI testing on Travis (YAY!)
* More automatic conversions, e.g. between mpmath and Arb types
* Pretty-printing is now the default (this has pros and cons it's a decision that might need revisiting...)

I'm still working on cleaning up inconsistencies in the interface and adding utility methods. Major features are also being added. For example numerical integration with Arb works now:

>>> from flint import *
>>> ctx.dps = 30
>>> acb.integral(lambda x, a: 2*(1-x**2).real_sqrt(analytic=a), -1, 1)
[3.141592653589793238462643383 +/- 3.06e-28]

There will be a new official release in the near future. If anyone is interested in helping out, it's very easy work to pick your favorite function in Flint or Arb and add a wrapper + docstring for it. Or help add documentation / test code for one of the existing methods. Or just try using python-flint and report any issues you find!

Fredrik