boxes instead of test

Jakobi

May 31, 2016, 2:45:32 PM5/31/16
to FLEx list
Dear all,

I feel this is a very basic question, but I cannot find the solution. So that's why I turn to you.
For a test project, I wanted to start a Georgian (the Republic, not the state ;-)) dictionary.
Georgian is written in Mkhedruli script.

Funny thing is that I cannot get Mkhedruli to render properly. It appears as the famous 'boxes'. See screenshot.
I already tried a couple of things:
- Enable graphite
- Change font
- Explicitly define script
- Copy + paste from notepad

So far, no success. Strangely enough, Cyrillic shows just fine.
Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks a lot,
Jakobi

Ron Lockwood

May 31, 2016, 3:35:11 PM5/31/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Jakobi,

It's probably the font. It must not have the Georgian code points in it. I also got boxes when I tried pasting in some Georgian from Wikipedia. When I pasted it into MS Word it defaulted to the Sylfaen font. When I use this font in Fieldworks it displays properly.

Ron

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

Jakobi

Jun 1, 2016, 2:59:07 AM6/1/16
to FLEx list
Thanks Ron. It WAS the font. Switched to Sylfaen and everything displayed as it should.
Strange thing then is why eg notepad.exe displays Mkhedruli perfectly in any font. Maybe some under the hood magic, that FLEx doesn't? Well, that's another discussion ;-)

Thanks

Michael Maxwell

Jun 7, 2016, 2:25:57 PM6/7/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Correct, some apps (including notepad, word) automagically substitute fonts when the default or specified font lacks a glyph for a particular code point.