Subsenses

Pauline Linton

Jan 6, 2016, 2:28:15 AM1/6/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
I've two questions about subsenses:
1. How do I get them to appear in the Entries pane of Lexicon Edit? When I open the Column Options dialog, Subsenses is not listed.

2. In dictionary view/the dictionary itself, is it possible to get the first (main) sense to appear as 1.a and subsenses as 1.b, 1.c, etc. Currently the first sense is not numbered at all and the subsenses start at 1.a. For example in

lawaana  [lawa:na] n 5  disposition envers la sorcellerie a) n 5 preuve de sorcellerie (trouver dans le coeur de quelqu'un après la mort)

the (first) sense (shown as 1 in the Entry pane of Lexicon Edit) starts at (disposition...) and the first subsense is marked as a)

I would prefer the sense to be labelled 1.a and the subsesne 1.b
Is this possible?

I've also just noticed that the grammatical info. is given twice even though it is the same for the subsense as the sense. This despite the fact that in Dictioanry configuration - Senses I have ticked the box that says "If all senses share the same grammatical information, show it first."

Thanks,
Pauline

Beth Bryson

Jan 7, 2016, 1:18:15 AM1/7/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Pauline.

Several of the things you ask about will be different in the next version of FLEx 8.3.x), but that won't be coming out for a while.  But we are working on it.

Regarding what is possible now, there are several things that can be done via Tools/Configure/Dictionary.  You will want to select the node called "Senses" (under Main Entry), and then explore the many controls or checkboxes there (as you clearly already have). For example:

1. There is a checkbox "Number even a single sense".  It sounds like you want that box ticked, but it is currently unticked for you.  That will get you a sense number on your first sense.  (In FW 8.3, having a subsense will be treated as having "more than a single sense", so the first sense would be always be numbered if there is at least one subsense.)

2. In the combo for "Numbering Style", there are a number of options for how to number the senses and subsense.  The first choice, "1 1.2 1.2.3" means that the numbering of subsenses will include two places, one for sense number and one for subsense number.  But it will be just digits, not 1.a.  All of the other options don't show the sense number on the subsense.  However, there might be some option that is sort of close to what you want.  (In FW 8.3 there will be more options for numbering styles and combinations.)

3. However, it is not possible to have senses and subsenses numbered all in the same sequence.  The idea is that there is a sequence for each level of the hierarchy, and they increment independent of each other.  The first subsense of each sense is going to be numbered with a 1 or a or i or whatever the first element of that sequence is.
   The only way to have the sequence flow from sense to subsense as you describe is to flatten the hierarchy:  make your first sense into a subsense (and maybe have nothing at the sense level?), or make your subsenses senses.  Actually, making your first sense into a subsense (and leaving the sense level info empty) may in fact work quite well for you.

4. In the current version of FLEx it is not possible to show subsenses in the browse view, but we are aware of that limitation and are hoping to change it in FW 8.3.

Sorry I can't give you most of what you want, but I hope there are at least a couple things to try.

-Beth

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

Pauline Linton

Jan 14, 2016, 2:08:13 AM1/14/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Putting a space in the Sense definition prevents it picking up the
Subsenses. Creates a too large blank at the beginning of the entry on
the Dictionary page but will do for now.

Pauline

Thanks Beth,
Sound like what I really want is FLEx 8.3! I'll have to be patient
.
In the meantime your solution 3 sounded like a possible workaround but
when I tried it, if the Sense level is left empty and only Subsenses
given definitions, in the Dictionary view FLEx automatically fills in
the Sense level with all of the Subsenses! So you get everything twice.
Not desirable.

I could change all the Subsenses to senses but then you lose some useful
linguistic info.

So back to being patient for 8.3. It's at least good to know the issue
is being looked at.

Pauline
>> the first (main) sense to appear as *1.a* and subsenses as *1.b*,
>> *1.c*, etc. Currently the first sense is not numbered at all and the
>> subsenses start at *1.a*. For example in
>>
>> lawaana [lawa:na] n 5 disposition envers la sorcellerie a) n 5
>> preuve de sorcellerie (trouver dans le coeur de quelqu'un après la mort)
>>
>> the (first) sense (shown as 1 in the Entry pane of Lexicon Edit)
>> starts at (/disposition.../) and the first subsense is marked as /*a)*/
>>
>> I would prefer the sense to be labelled *1.a* and the subsesne *1.b*
>> Is this possible?
>>
>> I've also just noticed that the grammatical info. is given twice even
>> though it is the same for the subsense as the sense. This despite the
>> fact that in Dictioanry configuration - Senses I have ticked the box
>> that says "If all senses share the same grammatical information, show
>> it first."
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Pauline
>>
>> --
>> You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
>> Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.
>> ---
>
> --
> You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
> Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flex-list/B5779866-91D2-4DFC-BD0B-D2AB20ABB54F%40sil.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flex-list/B5779866-91D2-4DFC-BD0B-D2AB20ABB54F%40sil.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Pauline Linton