One of our regional languages uses spaces as syllable boundaries. Can FLEx and Paratext be configured to handle this together?

Scott Dysart

Jan 29, 2018, 11:25:22 PM1/29/18
to FLEx list
Good morning,
One of our regional languages uses spaces to mark syllable boundaries.  We can get Paratext to handle this by inserting the ~ at the syllable boundary and then also set the ~ as a mid-word punctuation.  That lets us use the word list in Paratext and also have the ~ hidden in the Preview view.

The next step is to get the Paratext text into FLEx: Text and Words.  I can associate the two projects and have the text show in FLEx: Text and Words but the text comes in with the ~.  That's problematic as the Lexicon won't have the ~.

Does anyone have any insight on how to make this work?  Is what we are attempting even possible?

Thank you,
Scott

Jeff Shrum

Jan 31, 2018, 9:53:03 AM1/31/18
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Scott,

Have you added the ~ as a word forming character in Flex.  It would also have to be removed from punctuation I should think.

Jeff Shrum
Language Technology Consultant
SIL International

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

Scott Dysart

Jan 31, 2018, 9:45:54 PM1/31/18
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Jeff,

Thank you for your reply.  That seems to work.  We can have two Vernacular Writing Systems for this language.  The First Vernacular Writing System be the one with the ~.  The second writing system can be the one without the ~.  We can copy/paste the content of Lexeme Form (~) into Lexeme Form (sans~) and then use Bulk Replace to replace the ~ with Space.  We'd publish any dictionary using the Lexeme Form (sans~).

I'll have to run this by the team, but I think it can work.

Scott

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "FLEx list" group.