Pathway for Fieldworks 8.3

GregT

Dec 14, 2016, 4:53:22 PM12/14/16
to FLEx list

The new Pathway product web site is available at software.sil.org/pathway. This site has a new look and feel as well as an easier way to find and download the latest version of the software, optional add-ons and supporting files. There is also a page for older versions so it is possible to get an older version if that would ever be necessary.

The latest site makes a version of Pathway available that works with FieldWorks through version 8.3.x (earlier versions continue to be supported as well).

I hope you enjoy the new site. Send us feedback if you have any suggestions.

John Brownie

Dec 15, 2016, 5:49:44 AM12/15/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
I am unable to install Pathway on Wasta Linux 16.04. If I try to install
the latest version (1.15.4), it tells me:
Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: mono4-sil

If I try to install the previous version, it also fails:
(Reading database ... 489886 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../pathway_1.15.3_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking pathway (1.15.3) ...
dpkg-deb (subprocess): decompressing archive member: lzma error:
compressed data is corrupt
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess <decompress> returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing archive
/home/john/Downloads/pathway_1.15.3_amd64.deb (--install):
cannot copy extracted data for
'./usr/lib/pathway/Dic4Mid/DfM-Creator/DfM-Creator.jar' to
'/usr/lib/pathway/Dic4Mid/DfM-Creator/DfM-Creator.jar.dpkg-new':
unexpected end of file or stream
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon (0.5.3~bzr0+16.04.20160824-0ubuntu1) ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf-2.index...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-6ubuntu3.1) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu5) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.59ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.5-1) ...

I have downloaded the files twice, with no change to the error. I can't
see an md5 for the 1.15.3 file to ensure that it is correct.

Any pointers on what to do next?

John
--
John Brownie
In Finland on furlough from SIL Papua New Guinea

Kim Blewett (gm)

Dec 16, 2016, 2:52:11 AM12/16/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Same here.
Kim

John Brownie

Dec 16, 2016, 2:59:53 AM12/16/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Kim Blewett (gm) wrote:
> Same here.
The solution was to add some extra repositories, though this is not
without danger, as you are getting nightly builds of Fieldworks as well
as the mono4-sil dependency. If you're willing to live with that, these
are the commands to run:

wget -qO - http://packages.sil.org/sil.gpg | sudo apt-key add -
wget -qO - http://linux.lsdev.sil.org/downloads/sil-testing.gpg | sudo apt-key add -
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://packages.sil.org/ubuntu $(lsb_release -sc) main"
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://packages.sil.org/ubuntu $(lsb_release -sc)-experimental main"
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://linux.lsdev.sil.org/ubuntu $(lsb_release -sc) main"
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://linux.lsdev.sil.org/ubuntu $(lsb_release -sc)-experimental main"
sudo apt-get update

After doing that, double-clicking the Pathway .deb file works correctly.

I guess that you could do it, install Pathway, then switch off the lsdev
repositories to avoid getting other things changed, but I'm by no means
an expert on this.

Kim Blewett (gm)

Dec 16, 2016, 4:17:34 AM12/16/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
OK. One way to lessen the "danger" is to enable these repos, install
Pathway, then disable or remove at least the two repositories from
linux.lsdev.sil.org, and then reload the source lists. Don't try to
"upgrade all" with these two repos enabled or you might get into
trouble. (You can disable the repos by opening Software Settings in
Wasta 16.04. On the "Other Software" tab untick the two lines that point
to "linux.lsdev.sil.org".) Then reload the repository lists.

Kim

Paul Nelson

Dec 16, 2016, 5:54:10 AM12/16/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
For what its worth, Bloom also nerds Mono4-SIL. FieldWorks 9 will also need Mono4-SIL.

I'll work with the team to understand when we can move Mono4-SIL to the main Wasta package.

Paul

Dec 17, 2016, 12:49:47 PM12/17/16
to FLEx list
I actually thought I had covered this topic in the "How to install" link on the sidebar: http://software.sil.org/pathway/resources/how-to-install/. Does it need additional clarification? Should I add another link to it on the download page?

I couldn't understand from the discussion what you were proposing?

Paul Unger

Dec 17, 2016, 1:29:49 PM12/17/16
to FLEx list
My observation: anything that requires more than a download and double-click to install (e.g., running scripts to eliminate dependency errors) needs to be heavily flagged. Even for Linux users, who are getting increasingly used to things 'just working'. :-P I can't begin to imagine how complex it is to roll out a new version across multiple OSes, but--for better or for worse--end users don't expect to have to read installation instructions for their OS. If they do have to, they need to be told to; most users will just try what works for the majority of programs they install, and only when that doesn't work go back and see if there were any 'special' instructions for them to follow. For what it's worth,

Paul

Kim Blewett (gm)

Dec 18, 2016, 11:28:13 PM12/18/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com

It'd just have to be moved to PSO rather than LLSO. :)
Kim