Can we import a gloss of a lexical relation from toolbox into FLEx

Scott Dysart

Dec 12, 2017, 4:23:14 AM12/12/17
to FLEx list
We have a user who wants to migrate a toolbox database into FLEx.
Over the course of years she's essentially embedded lexical entries as Lexical Functions.
She has
\lx VernacularWord
\ge EnglishGloss
\gn NationalGloss
\lf LexicalFunction
\lv VernacularWord
\le English Gloss of Vernacular Word
\ln National Gloss of Vernacular Word

In many instances the \lv VernacularWord is either non-existent as an \lx in it's own right or spelled differently from the otherwise corresponding \lx or the \le gloss is different from the gloss for the corresponding lexical entry.

Is it possible to import this data into FLEx in such away that lx created as a result of the link being created by virtue of the lexical function also the \le and \ln

I thought that we had done something like this at one point in time in the past, but can't remember how we did it.
Thank you,
Scott

Beth-docs Bryson

Dec 12, 2017, 10:59:45 AM12/12/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
It is something that has been requested but never implemented.  At the moment, FLEx doesn’t have a way of doing anything with glosses that are specified with the \lf.  The minimum would have been to compare it with the referenced entry (if it existed) and report if it’s different.

There are a few things in Solid that might relate to this, but I don’t know if it exactly handles this case.

Otherwise I recommend writing a script (in Perl or Python) to restructure things in the SFM before import—create the lexical entry she intended.  In a way this is a bit easier than if the referenced entry existed, because you don’t have the possibility of conflicting glosses...

-Beth

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

Ron Moe

Dec 12, 2017, 12:18:49 PM12/12/17
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott,
Are you able to do what Beth has suggested, or do you know someone who can? I've done a lot of this sort of thing over the years. It is fairly easy if you know how.

It is important to decide on a strategy beforehand. If you aren't careful, you can create a lot of unnecessary work for yourself. Are there a lot of these \lf lexemes? How many are duplicates and will need to be merged? The hard part is not generating entries for them, but figuring out a strategy for merging the duplicates. If there aren't too many of them, then the easiest thing is to fix them by hand before importing the data into FLEx. Otherwise you have to flag them or somehow find them all after import. It would be easier to extract them from the SFM file and compare them to the main entries you have now.

Let me know if you need help.
Ron Moe

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flex-list/646c2fee-a4d7-4b4b-9752-9749efbe5391%40googlegroups.com.