Order of Lexical Relations

gary persons

Oct 7, 2016, 4:00:22 PM10/7/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Is there an easy way to group like lexical relations for printing (Specifics with Specifics, Generics with Generics, etc.) and order them consistently (Synonym, Antonym, Generic, etc.)?

Gary

Jonathan Dailey

Oct 7, 2016, 4:22:45 PM10/7/16
to FLEx List
Add the column lexical relation type (I think) sort on it and filter for non-blanks.  You should be able to print that. in the browse view.

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

SIL International
Language Technology Consultant

gary persons

Oct 7, 2016, 4:38:29 PM10/7/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jonathan,

I see the column for Lexical Relations but not Lexical Relations Type and I can see how to sort the column if I wanted to print out all of the synonym, etc. However, what I want is to be able to send the entries that I select out to Pathway (or some other program) in such a way that a particular type of Lexical relation is sorted together and then the types in a certain order within the entry.

Gary

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/flex-list/723b52a2df0ee9a7fd347520dcae5790%40mail.gmail.com.

SIL International

Language Technology Consultant

--

You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.
---

Leaders, Marlin

Oct 8, 2016, 10:16:53 PM10/8/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com

To sort the Lexical Relations Types you have to go to Tools> Configure> Dictionary. Expand the Senses field (presuming you set lexical relations at the Sense Level which we recommend). Find the Lexical Relations Field and click on the words Lexical Relations. The Lexical Relations Types show in the right-hand pane. Use the arrows to arrange the types in the order you like. It looks like the default is that the pairs are arranged together as arranged in the insert Lexical Relations tool.

If you want to arrange the order within any non-pair set with multiple relationships like synonyms, specifics, etc. you must do that in each sense Lexical Relations field. So if you want the days of the week in order, do that there. Or if you want numbers in ascending order do that in that senses by right clicking over the set members and move them right or left.

Be aware that these multiple member fields will occur on each member of the relation set. You will have multiple occurences of an entry for each sense that has a lexical relation in it. It will also show a sense number for each sense of the entry, even if that sense does not have a lexical relation entered for it. Sense numbering is controlled by the Sense filed in Tools Configure Dictionary. I don't see a way to turn off the numbers of those not containing lexical relations. If you uncheck the Show if data present, it turns all senses off so that the dictionary view goes entirely blank.

Pathway and the xhtml exports put alphabetic headers above each new headword letter, which is useless and distracting when you're not sorting alphabetically by the headword. The headers might be deleted in the word processor after the exports.

You'd have to play with the sorting of columns, and filters to get it the way you want it, too. I think that might take precedence over some of the lexical relations sort unless you only show the Lexical Relations column in the Browse view.

Marlin

Oct 9, 2016, 10:30:54 PM10/9/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Gary, are you saying that within an entry you want something like:

fast adj. syn. quick, rapid, hurried; ant. slow

For the 8.3 beta we have at least accomplished the “factoring” part (where the lexical relation name occurs only once, with all the targets after it).  As to order the lexical relations within the entry, I need to check on that.  For Complex Forms it is possible, and we know it is needed for variants.  To find out, right-click on one of them, and see if there is a “move right” or “move left” option.

-Beth

gary persons

Oct 10, 2016, 9:16:29 AM10/10/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Hi Beth,

For the complex forms there is the move right and move left in 8.3.0.

I think you have the right idea but I don’t see the “factoring” taking place in 8.3.0. I think it is the factoring that I am looking for (The Lexical relation type such as [Spec] appears once with the targets for [Spec] compiled into one group following it in the Dictionary view; the Entry view has them separate). Is that in 8.3.1, does it work for custom LexRel fields and is 8.3.1 available yet?

Thanks,

Gary