Release of FieldWorks 8.3.12

Ann Bush

Mar 28, 2018, 10:40:56 AM3/28/18
to flex...@googlegroups.com

We are happy to announce that FieldWorks 8.3.12 is now available.  This version updates the available ethnologue codes in FLEx.

As with release 8.3.9, XP is no longer supported.  This is due to some of the changes made so FLEx will work with Paratext 8.

FieldWorks for Windows will work with Paratext 8.  FieldWorks for Linux will have to wait until version 9 to support Paratext 8.

Most machines already have .Net 4.6.1 installed.  But, especially on Windows 8/8.1, this may need to be installed for the Paratext 8 interface to work.

After upgrading to this version, the data will not open in any version prior to 8.3.3, so make a backup before upgrading.

If you are sharing data with others, the entire team should use a version of FieldWorks with the same data model. For more specifics about version 8.3 and the changes made, see the release notes.

For details on the specific changes since FW 8.3.12, please visit:

http://software.sil.org/fieldworks/fw8312/

The Windows version of FieldWorks 8.3.12 can be downloaded from:

http://software.sil.org/fieldworks/download/fw-8312/

The Linux version is available for Xenial and Trusty in the main section of the packages.sil.org repository. For installation instructions, see http://packages.sil.org/ under "Install SIL software” (under Wasta or Ubuntu).

Please send any feedback (including positive experiences) to FLEx_...@sil.org.

Ann

for the FieldWorks development team

Dennis Walters

Mar 29, 2018, 5:54:43 PM3/29/18
to flex...@googlegroups.com
On 03/28/2018 09:40 AM, Ann Bush wrote:
After upgrading to this version, the data will not open in any version prior to 8.3.3, so make a backup before upgrading.

Hello Ann

I accepted the software upgrade before I saw your email so I no longer have access to the back up utility in my earlier version of FLEx.

What do you advise?

-Make a manual backup? Where are the files?

-Downgrade FLEx to do the backup?

-Or will FLEx make a back up automatically before it migrates each project it opens?

Thx. Dennis

Ann Bush

Mar 29, 2018, 6:02:23 PM3/29/18
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Dennis,

This is the same disclaimer with all versions of 8.3.  Backups made by earlier versions will open in later versions.  But an 8.3 database will not open I n version 8.2.  I hope that helps!

Ann

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.