A way to view changes by a certain user?

Abbie K

Feb 8, 2018, 10:21:45 PM2/8/18
to FLEx list
In FLEx is there a way to view changes made by a certain user? A user on my project tells me he has made changes, but I can't find them, so if it was possible to view changes by user then this would be very helpful. (I've filtered on "last modified" but it doesn't help)

David Wilkinson

Feb 12, 2018, 7:31:31 AM2/12/18
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Hi Abbie,

I don’t believe there is any way within FLEx to know which user made what changes, certainly no column or filter to make it easy. As I understand FLEx doesn’t natively store this information because the ability to do send/receive is something that has been tagged on and integrated on top of the existing infrastructure.

However, assuming your project is set up for send/receive with language depot, you might be able to see the information you need by signing into your language depot project online, going to ‘repository’ and then looking at the ‘latest revisions’. Look for the one matching the date and author of the changes you are looking for and click on that revision number. Then if there are few differences you can probably just click on ‘view differences’ at the top and try and find it, or if your project is very large you might be better looking at the individual differences to the lexicon files under linguistics: lexicon.

Failing that you could install an external program called ‘Tortoise HG’ which helps with mercurial version control and allows more capabilities to search the changes that are made to files according to user.

It’s not an ideal solution though, and it would be great if FLEx could somehow incorporate it natively.

David

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

SM

Feb 12, 2018, 8:32:56 PM2/12/18
to FLEx list
Thanks David. It's useful to know one can look in the repository, even though I didn't find what I was hoping for!

Dennis Walters

Feb 13, 2018, 2:39:23 PM2/13/18
to flex...@googlegroups.com
My original Toolbox data had fields for recording the user who first entered a lexical record and for the user who last revised the record, and for the dates of first entry and last revision. We made custom fields for this information in our FLEx database and it has proved very useful over several years of work.

A few years ago I entered a feature request with the FLEx developers to implement this tracking information, but they have not gotten to it yet. Still it can be done by use of custom fields if desired. That doesn't help you much with your present project, but it could be useful to someone just starting a new lexical database.

Dennis

On 02/08/2018 09:21 PM, Abbie K wrote:
In FLEx is there a way to view changes made by a certain user? A user on my project tells me he has made changes, but I can't find them, so if it was possible to view changes by user then this would be very helpful. (I've filtered on "last modified" but it doesn't help)

Dennis Walters

Feb 13, 2018, 3:02:12 PM2/13/18
to FieldWorks Language Explorer Discussion
There is a series of linked JIRA issues on this topic, the most recent is LT-16218. That won't  be of much use to most users, but it may make it easier for the developers to find what we are asking about.

Dennis