HVO error on data import

sara_...@sil.org

May 2, 2016, 1:17:39 PM5/2/16
to FLEx list
Hi,

I'm importing a Toolbox dictionary into FLEx. Every time I do the import I get this error message:

XML Parsing Problem (phase 5): Internal timing or data error [Unable to find hvo -2 in the object dictionary. 53358 is the next available hvo] Check the Import Log for more details.

The line number the error happens on changed as I massaged the Toolbox data to get it ready for import, but it happens every time I import. I cannot find anything in the Import Log that I can identify as relating to this error, although it maybe be there and I don't know what to look for.

What I really care about is... does this mean that some data hasn't been imported? If so, how much and/or what do I do to fix the error or narrow down what data is getting lost?

Thanks,
Sara

Ann Bush

May 2, 2016, 1:49:20 PM5/2/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Hi Sara,

Does the HTML log say that anything was imported?  Can you look to see if anything was imported?  I wouldn’t think that anything was, since the error occurred before the import completed.

Ann

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.

sara_...@sil.org

May 3, 2016, 8:35:13 AM5/3/16
to FLEx list
Data is definitely importing, almost 5000 entries are created. The original data has around 2500 records and then the cross references and synonyms are getting added automatically (which I want it to do). I just can't tell if there's some missing records from where it can't find the hvo -2 until it finds the next ones.

This error has happened consistently since the beginning when I started trying to transition this dictionary to FLEx and I've edited and restructured the data quite a bit since the beginning.

Sara

Fran Woods

May 4, 2016, 1:35:28 AM5/4/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com

Dear Sara,

Don't know if this info would be at all helpful but I had an issue between Flex and WeSay when sending updates to Flex. I couldn't find any errors anywhere. after plenty of hair tearing, I finally discovered in the logs that the error was at the exact same spot each time. It looked alright in Flex but I finally discovered a spurious zero-width character (invisible) in the one entry which was causing the problem. Once I fixed that exporting/importing proceeded without a hitch.

Might you have something similar happening?

Blessings,

Fran

sara_...@sil.org

May 5, 2016, 3:45:11 PM5/5/16
to FLEx list
Hi Fran,

How did you find that invisible character? It could certainly be a problem like that.

It might help if I knew what "hvo" meant...

My dictionary has 2539 entries.

The Phase4Output-Input.log shows the hvo -2 error message and immediately after that it says this:
Created 4899 LexEntry objects during import from Phase4Output.xml
Created 3036 MoStemAllomorph objects during import from Phase4Output.xml
Created 2543 LexPronunciation objects during import from Phase4Output.xml
Created 5803 LexSense objects during import from Phase4Output.xml
Created 4622 LexExampleSentence objects during import from Phase4Output.xml
Created 4619 CmTranslation objects during import from Phase4Output.xml
Created 213 LexEtymology objects during import from Phase4Output.xml
Created 2303 LexEntryRef objects during import from Phase4Output.xml
Created 1806 MoAffixAllomorph objects during import from Phase4Output.xml
Created 4 CmPicture objects during import from Phase4Output.xml
Created 9632 ReversalIndexEntry objects during import from Phase4Output.xml
Created 1106 LexReference objects during import from Phase4Output.xml

And that's the end of the file.

Sara

Randy Regnier

May 5, 2016, 4:03:33 PM5/5/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com, FLEx Errors

On 5/5/2016 12:45 PM, sara_...@sil.org wrote:

Hi Fran,

How did you find that invisible character? It could certainly be a problem like that.

It might help if I knew what "hvo" meant...

Not sure it will help, but "hvo" means: Handle to a Viewable Object.

Since FW 7.x days that hvo has not been persisted, but is created anew for each of the major FW data model objects (e.g. a lexical entry).

When running correctly, those hvo values for for the major data objects will all be integer values that are greater than 0 (zero). An hvo value of -1 is set while the data is being rebuilt in memory from having been persisted on disk. An hvo value of -2 (what you see) means some object being used at the moment has been deleted, so cannot be used any longer.

You seem to have found a bug in the Toolbox import code. I've CCed the FLEx Error address so they can register the bug. Sorry you have run into the bug.

Randy Regnier

--
You are subscribed to the publicly accessible group "FLEx list".
Only members can post but anyone can view messages on the website.
---

sara_...@sil.org

Aug 3, 2016, 7:49:40 PM8/3/16
to FLEx list, flex_...@sil.org
Ok, so it's been a while since I've looked at this, but I now have a fairly good hypothesis as to why this is happening. My data looks rather like this (structurally -- the actual data is long and messy):

\lx ngolo
\ph <phonetic_form>
\sn 1
\dn <definition_regional>
\rn <reversal_regional>
\de <definition_english>
\re <reversal_english>
\xv <example_vernacular>
\xn <exampletranslated_regional>
\sn 2
\dn <definition_regional>
\rn <reversal_regional>
\de <definition_english>
\re <reversal_english>
\xv <example_vernacular>
\xn <exampletranslated_regional>
\se -sala ngolo
\dn <definition_regional>
\rn <reversal_regional>
\se -sala ngolo
\dn <definition_regional>
\rn <reversal_regional>
\se -sala ngolo!
\dn <definition_regional>
\rn <reversal_regional>
\se -sala ngolo
\dn <definition_regional>
\rn <reversal_regional>

There are three subentries that have the exact same lexeme form. The problem seems to be with the first two (where there's one right after the other). When I switched the second to be a sense of the first, the error disappeared. I'm not sure why the third one didn't cause an error.

Sara

Allan Johnson

Aug 16, 2016, 2:36:50 PM8/16/16
to flex...@googlegroups.com
Yes - this sounds familiar. Thank you for reporting back your findings. I think I've run into this same issue on two dictionary imports, where the import process ran into trouble because of multiple subentries with identical names. I'm finding one bug report on this, number LT-17136. Not sure if there are others. I'll add some information from your email to this bug report to hopefully help this get repaired.

Allan